Canon EF 28-70 3.5-4.5 II with filters

paul_russell1

<p>I am about to pick up one of these fairly well rated lenses to bridge a gap in my range, but recall seeing special cokin adaptors so that filters can be used (I believe the front thread 'retracts' into the body as it were)<br>

Does anybody have any direct experience of the lens who could advise me limitations or workarounds for using filters?<br>

Many thanks</p>

<p>N.B. Answers from Michael Liczbanski are actively discouraged. Had enough.</p>

<p>I don't have this lens anymore, but yes the front part retract into the body. UV lens is OK, but polarizer might be hard, not to use but to remove. Forget about step up ring as well, it will restrict the front element movement.<br>

The lens itself was pretty sharp, no more sharper than the 17-85 EF-S I had at the time. It has "internal" zooming, so lens length does not change much during zooming.<br>

With a little bit more money, you probably better off with the more modern 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 or 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. You gave up a little if any in IQ but gain modern ring USM with all it's feature, FTM, silent focusing etc, and no issue with filter.</p>