mondiani

Hello all,<p>

I use right now the canon EF 16-35mm f2.8 lens, I do nightclub

photography with flash that you can see in my portfolio. But I think

to switch to the canon ef 24mm f1.4<p>

As it is faster I guess I will have more light in the viewfinder

then improving the quality of what I see. This is the only reason

why I'm looking for a faster lens. But it is quiet critical because

the very dark environnement I work in. Is it really worth to buy one?

<p>

Does the 2 stops faster than the 16-35mm mean that there are 4 times

more light available in the viewfinder? Does anyone have both

lenses? What is your opinion?

Thank you for your replies and the link ;)<p>

I use a 10d and cannot afford a more expensive body - let say the markII with a bit brighter viewfinder (15% 3times more expensive than the 24mm lens that offer 400% more light :p) Moreover I'm pretty happy with a light body a markII or Ds1 are too heavy for me. I take party pictures all night long up to 6 hours... and I simply cannot use a film camera because the workflow though I prefer film quality.

Hi, I reckon your set up OK now 24mm fixed might be long in the niteclub scene we get by with the 15~30 and thats a lot slower, maybe you can hire one 1st and try it out. a bigger eye cup might help cut out the side light to the viewfinder

have fun

Before you buy that 24 1.4, see if you can compare the viewfinder images of an f2.8 lens and a f1.4 lens (similar focal lengths) in your EOS viefinder, you may not notice as big a difference as imagined... I tried this and was surprised. I'm told this is due to the EOS laser-matte screen technology. With my old Nikons, there was a much more visible difference to my eyes between an f1.4 and f2.8 lens.

<p>I was just going to say what the last poster said. I've tried using DOF preview on my Elan 7E with the 50/1.4 and while the viewfinder is slightly brighter at f/1.4 than at f/2 or f/2.8, it's nowhere near a one/two-stop difference. I don't understand the optics behind it but I've read the same thing - the design of the viewfinder affects how much of a difference in brightness there is at various apertures. (Of course, taking pictures at those apertures, the film does indeed see a full one or two stop difference.)</p>

If what you really want is a brighter viewfinder and not necessarily a faster lens, then try using an accesory viewfinder made for rangefinders that fit into the hot shoe. They are extremely bright. The ones by Cosina Voigtlander aren't near as expensive as the Leica ones, but are small and cheap. Check out cameraquest.com to see some pictures. They have one for 24mm that will be brighter and clearer than any image you'll ever get in an SLR viewfinder. Your framing will take some practice to get right because of parallax error, but with a 24mm it shouldn't be that bad. It's a strange radical thought, but worth a look.

mondiani, sorry, that website is a maze of info that can make it easy to get lost if you don't know rangefinders. An accessory viewfinder is a little finder that slides into the flash's hotshoe and instead of looking through the camera's viewfinder you look through the accesory viewfinder to frame your shot. The problem is that you don't get to see any of the exposure info or other indications that your viewfinder displays, but the brightness is addicting. There is no matte surface, no mirror, and very little glass to rob light. They are used predominantly for wide angles on rangefinder cameras whose viewfinders don't go wide enough for those lenses. Go back to cameraquest.com, click on Price list, then VF&ACC info. This link should take you there.

http://www.cameraquest.com/inventor.htm

Sorry I haven't taken the time to learn how to make it a link yet. Most of the pics are close-ups of the viewfinders themselves, but if you scroll around a bit you can see them attached to cameras. Keep in mind that the camera bodies they are attached to in these pictures are MUCH smaller than SLR bodies, so don't let the size fool you. It may not be the answer to your problem, but if you can find a store that carries Leica cameras, they will have some in stock (although probably the outrageously priced Leica ones) and see how they work for you. OH, and I made a mistake. The Voigtlander finder doesn't come in a 24mm, but does in a 25mm - effectively the same. It's not as exotic as a 24/1.4, but it is 10 times cheaper!