Canon DPP question

cardoni

I make changes to an Image in Digital Photo Pro and save changes and exit. If

I go back to the image using DPP the changes are there, but if I use microsoft

photo viewer it is still the same untouched image. How do I make changes so

even if another software is used to view the image the changes are still there?

Thank you!

You can't make changes to a RAW file. The changes you see in DPP are software tags or a

recipe that instructs DPP to process the RAW file a certain way. Unfortunately most other

RAW converters are unable to read these tags or recipe and so your image is opened at the

program's default. If you set certain parameters in camera, e.g, Landscape or extra

saturation, DPP will display them as default tags when opened, saving lots of tweaking time.

However most other programs

will not and thus require additional adjustments to recreate the default settings seen in DPP.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

If you want modifications you make in DPP to be viewable by other software, use DPP to convert the modified image to TIF or JPG format. Then open the TIF or JPG file in other software of your choice. TIF, although more resource-intensive than JPG, is "lossless." But any decent imaging program can read or write both JPG and TIF.

Really DPP is the wrong software to edit JPG but to answer your question you need to "develop" the image to make the changes stick. This is done by selecting "Convert and Save" from the file menu. DPP will not alter your original JPG unless you save over it.

It is the same even among Canon's own software. Canon didn't make their Imagebrowser

software capable to see and interpret recipes accomplished in Digital Photo Professional. You

just see the raw images as shot. There should be a preference setting for it to see and

interpret for convenient viewing raw photos before batch processing.