Canon Digital Rebel XTi with Chinon Lenses

amanda_carsner

I am a fairly new photographer and I am looking for lenses for my Canon Rebel XTi. Because I am a college

student, I am going down the cheaper road (for now) when buying lenses.

I found someone who is selling Chinon lenses (Converter 2x, 200mm, 35mm, 135mm, 55mm) and I was wondering if

there was an adapter that can connect those lenses to my Rebel XTi?<div>00QE0J-58435584.thumb.jpg.4e46c1b47711925685567e4cf1b990ef.jpg</div>

If you are going to post a large image of the lenses

a) at least make it a sharp one so descriptions on lenses can be read

b) show the mount and/or the detailed description round the front of at least one lens

c) don't upload it with your posting - host it yourself elsewhere. Uploaded images should be resized to no more than 700 pixels wide, and ~100kb maximum.

You will need one or more M42 to EOS adaptors - these can be readily bought relatively cheaply via e.g. ebay. You should also read about using this kind of setup here:

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/

I doubt it is worth trying to use the 2x converter because you will find focussing all but impossible and the image quality will likely be very poor.

As Mark says, this is not a "good idea". Later on, when you've got method and theory under the belt, so to

speak, you can play around with (as I love to do) oddball lenses.

Let's be frank, the Chinons were pretty much just OK at best when they were new and they would be awkward to use

as your only or main lenses on an XTi.

For now get the new EF-S 18-55 IS kit lens. It is quite good and will work without frustration.

>>I am going down the cheaper road (for now) when buying lenses.<<

Don't bother... Get the camera with the kit lens and you are set. Add, the 50 f/1.8 and you can start making money taking portraits of your school friends. Later, you can use that extra money to get more lenses.

Using non-Canon lenses is possible but, there are many limitations. And it's NOT cheaper since the kit lens and the 50 f/1.8 cost less than some older manual lenses.

Just throwing my 2 cents in with the "don't do it" crowd. Get the camera with the 18-55 kit lens and you will save yourself

an incredible amount of frustration. Then once you decide your primary interest, sock money away for an appropriate,

compatible lens.