I use canon digital pro software to retouch images. I change sharpness, tones

to where I like the image then save and exit. The location of the image, for

example, is C:/my pictures/IMG-2883.jpg. Now, when I go to my computer and

browse to C:/my pictures/IMG-2883 and use microsoft image viewer to view this

image it is the original untocued image. Is that how it's supposed to be? What

if I want the image in microsoft image viewer be the same as what I made it in

Canon software? Thanks

Hi Babak,

Yes, this is how it's supposed to be. Canon's DPP software, like Capture One Rebel and Adobe Camera RAW, does not modify the original RAW file directly, but makes a note of adjustments you've made to the file in its own "database." So the post-processing you've applied will only be visible in it.

Incidentally, you specified "IMG-2883.jpg" in your sample--surely you mean "IMG_2883.CRW" or "IMG_2883.CR2"? I seem to recall that DPP only processes RAW images, not JPGs.

If you want your changes to show up in other files, you'd need to save a copy of the original image with the post-processing parameters applied.

Adobe Camera RAW uses sidecar .XMP files to store changes in the same directory as the original file, so if another program can interpret .XMP files, then that program can render the post-processed version of the image. I'm in the middle of reading Krogh's "The DAM Book" (Digital Asset Management Book), which talks about this very issue and suggests using the new, open-source DNG format from Adobe to get around this. The rationale is that as the DNG format is openly documented, programs that can render DNG formats will have no problem showing the post-processing changes as well. At least I think that's what the author's saying. :-) Gotta read further...

DPP does handle jpegs and tifs as well as RAW.

Babek, if you use "add recipe and save" it just attaches the tags. You need to "Convert and save". Don't be put off by the "convert" bit - you can "convert and save" a jpeg as a jpeg if you want. Once converted the effects of the tags are applied, and you will see the altered image in any other image viewing software like Picture Viewer or Explorer.