Canon CP-E2 & CP-E3?

andrew_ito

Just wondering if anyone uses these battery packs for the Canon speedlites. I was looking

into the CP-E2 and found out that there is a new CP-E3 available. Are there any

advantages to using this new pack over the CP-E2 with a 550EX? Any experiences with

these packs vs. the Quantum offerings?

I have both the CP-E2 and the new CP-E3. Both are very small as far as battery packs go. Both will speed up recycling of a 550EX significantly. And both are relatively inexpensive, the CP-E2 costing me $120 and the CP-E3 $140.

The CP-E3 is a nicer package and is more efficient than the CP-E2. The main difference is that the CP-E2 takes 6 AA batteries while the CP-E3 takes 8. With high capacity, freshly charged NiMH batteries in both the 550EX and the CP-E3, the 550EX will recycle from a full power flash in about 1 second.

The CP-E3 uses a removable battery tray and you can purchase an extra tray for a quick change in the field, without removing the battery pack from its case. Both come with a tripod screw for attaching the pack (without its case) to the bottom of your camera. I prefer not to use them that way and instead have installed a shoulder strap in the slot at the top of the battery pack. It accepts a narrow strap of the type that use to come with the Canon hard lens cases.

Each of these packs has a pendant, coiled cable with a plug that connects to the receptacle on the 550EX. They can both be used with the new 580EX or the old 540EZ; i.e., with any Canon Speedlite having the requisite connector. I find this far superior to after market battery packs which connect to the battery chamber on the Speedlite.

Andrew:

I use a Quantum Turbo for my 550EX and I am very happy with it. True, the Turbo is a bit weighty but well worth it I think. I can easily shoot for a full day and evening - usually somewhere around 1200 exposures - with little drain on the battery. I heard from Quantum recently that the cable will remain the same for the new 580EX and that's nice.

One thing I really like about the Turbo is that there's no "memory", you can re-chrage at any point and there's no need to completely drain the battery before re-charging.

Also, Quantum customer service is really quite excellent. I'm a CPS member so Canon service is great too, and actually the two are pretty much on par when it comes to customer care and service.

Bill, is there a big difference in terms of recycling time between the two Canon packs?

Also, does the power last significantly longer with the new pack? I think I'm leaning

towards the Canon packs vs. the Quantum because of cost issues and the fact that they

use AA cells. I have a bunch of new NiMH batteries.

Andrew;

Obviously, if you want the fastest recycling, get the CP-E3. I haven't done a side by side comparison but to the best of my recollection, I would guess the CP-E3 is about 25% faster. Also, I believe the CP-E3 is a replacement for the CP-E2, which means the CP-E2 is being discontinued.