Canon Canonet QL17 film release button stuck, please help

I received the camera the other day and just completed my first roll of film. Under the camera there is a button to press which releases the film so that it can be rewound and removed. However, now that I am trying to add a fresh roll of film that button is still pressed in, the lever wont go forward to load the film and the shutter wont work.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix it? I am unsure if it is a newbie error (there was no manual with the camera), or if the film release button is stuck and/or broken. I have spent a while searching forjms, Goigle and Youtube but cant find any information. Most posts are about the newer GIII version.

Thank you.

The QL17 is nearly the same as the "GIII QL17", but with a few very minor differences such as the battery used

But to get to your specific question, I'm sorry, but I'd have to have the camera in my hands. (when I ran a camera store, the GIII QL17 was the most popular 35mm camera we sold and the usual price was about $80.00)

For a manual, go to Canon Canonet QL 17 instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

Edited by chuck909
  • Like 1

Fixed it

2 people's first advice was not to force it, which sounded correct as this is my first film camera. After jiggling the bits around I gave the lever and forceful push and that did it. Probably just stuck due to age and needs lubeing up a bit. Thanks for the quick response guys, especially the manual ☺