Canon ae-1 weird shutter problem

tristanharmsen

Hello! I bought a Canon AE-1 some months ago and have consistently been experiencing the same problem. I will snap a few pictures and the shutter will work fine, but after a few exposures it will not function correctly. I can still get it to fire, but I have to strike it from a height with my forefinger, which is sort of annoying when you're trying to capture the decisive moment! Also, when I press the shutter in self-timer mode, the light will just blink for awhile but the shutter won't fire. I have to wait a few hours and try to use the shutter in regular mode in order to make it work.

The battery is fairly new, but when I test the battery with the battery test button the needle goes way outside the range it's supposed to be in.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so, what was the problem and/or solution?

Thanks so much in advance!

Edited by tristanharmsen

Is the shutter slow to fire because the mirror is sluggish? That is, is it a case where the mirror rises very slowly, then the shutter fires normally once the mirror has risen? If so, you may have a severe example of the notorious Canon A-series mirror box squeak. Read up on it, if this is the issue with your camera. It''s a pretty easy fix.

I thought the squeak was from the mirror brake. If it's slow to start, it could be foam pads perishing and getting sticky. However, it may not be the mirror. I have a slight problem with my A-1, where after even an hour of not being used, the shutter will wait a little after I press the button before firing. It has been a delay of up to about a second, and whatever scene I was trying to get had moved on; but it's not always that bad, and the next shot will be fine. Interestingly, the exposure is correct; just the first shutter curtain is slow to get going. I understand from one of Tomosy's books that the electromagnetic catches that release the shutter curtains can get dirty. Cleaning them requires opening the bottom of the camera.

It's been a long time since I've had the bottom plate off an A-1, but if memory serves, the electromagnets are right there in plain view when you remove the back, so they're easy to get to, at least. I've never tried this repair, however, so I don't know what all's involved.

The foam pad(s) used to cushion the mirror from bouncing may cause some stickiness after the mirror has flipped up, but the shutter should fire normally as soon as the mirror has risen. So if this isn't happening, it's something else. Perhaps the electromagnets, as you've mentioned.

Edited by mwmcbroom