Canon AE-1 rewind button

raphaelbragiato

I just bought a Canon AE-1 - my first analog camera, yay - and I'am shooting my first roll of film.

I'm in the middle of a roll right now and I've noticed something that's worrying me. When I wind the film on, the rewind knob is meant to turn as well, right? So, what I've noticed is that, sometimes, the knob don't complete its turn. Instead of the normal +-180º turn, it only goes halfway. I've already checked if the rewind button was pressed and tried turning the knob clockwise to give some tension to the film, but it seems to be random. Anyway, the exposures counter keeps advancing normally since the beginning of the roll.

Should I be worried about the photos being overlap?

The amount the rewind knob turns will depend on how much film is left, and how tightly the film is wound in the cassette. My guess is that it's winding OK - at least you know it's advancing. The film advance in 35mm cameras is usually very reliable, but I expect you will only be sure after the film is developed.

I too wouldn't worry about it.

With that said, my habit for years has been to GENTLY turn the rewind knob backwards on a new roll of film to take up any slack in the cartridge. When you do that, you should see the correct amount of rotation for every turn, although as mentioned the closer you get to the end of the roll the more it will turn for every cartridge.

BTW, you bought a film camera, not an analog camera :) . The only thing analog about your camera is the moving needle in the viewfinder that tells you the selected aperture.

• 8 months later...