Canon AE-1 Program vs. Canon A1

KoolM1

Hello everyone,,

What would you recommend? I’ve seen people pretty split about which one is better. From my understanding, the AE-1 is easier to use but the A1 has more features. This is going to be my first film camera. Any help appreciated, thanks :)

Please don't take this the wrong way but I notice that since you joined the forum today, your only activity has been to post 2 questions to 2 different forums within 10 minutes of each other. You can find a wide range of comparisons between the AE-1 and A1 via Google. What, specifically, ae you unclear about?

Ideally Neither bit if I had to pick one it would be the AE-1P. A bit less capable but so much less fiddly in use.

On the other hand, on eBay it often costs more to get a good clean AE-1P than to land an A-1 so maybe better off with the more capable A-1 after all.

I'd suggest neither as I've had both. If you really want an FD camera, go for either an F1 or T90...make sure everything works and you have return privileges, as due to age many are prone to problems. Tank goodness my T90 hasn't had any issues yet.
  • Like 1

You don't say why you want a first film camera, and why one of those.

I recommend the FTb.

Forty years ago, making a camera easier to use was important.

Adding more features, many just so that you could say you had more features.

Note, though, that adding features only makes it easier to use when you learn

how to use those features. Otherwise they make it harder.

But if you want easier to use, now, you might as well get a digital camera.

You can even get programs to make the pictures look like film.

The FTb isn't hard to use, won't take long to learn, and will take just fine pictures.

• Like 1

-- glen

Noch einmal. Lesen Sie so, bitte

Canon AE-1 Program - The Old Regime with new tricks

Canon A-1 - A-series "professional camera"

Unless you use it all the time, and even then, the T90 (otherwise the best of all FD cameras) is too likely to fail to be a good choice.

Just like us humans, frequent exercise is really important to the proper functioning of a camera. My suggestions assume you will use, or at least exercise the functionality of the cameras on a weekly basis, remove batteries when not in use, etc. etc. If that isn't the case, get something more elemental. Case in point, years ago I attended a free Leica clinic with reps flown over from Germany...free check of one's camera bodies. Stood in line 2 hrs for a 1 minute check. The technician's advice..."when you are sitting in front of your TV eating your munchies...operate your camera's controls on an empty body up and down throughout the shutter range..it will keep things lubricated and extend the life of your camera for years." I do that monthly with all of my shelf queens!

• Like 1

i have both but use the A-1 much more. I'd really like to know specific reasons as to why some of the above posters say they would not use either. I am completely satisfied with mine.
  • Like 2
A book's a great place to hide out in - Trevanian

OK, how about the more fancy features the more ways it can fail.

But OK, I suspect that the AE-1p and A-1 are fine cameras.

I think I remember stories about some of the Canon electronic shutter cameras

where the magnets get stuck, but I don't remember which ones.

The OP didn't say why he wanted a first film camera.

The appropriate automation modes might depend on the reason.

-- glen

I've never cared for the A1, great camera though it is. I find the control system fiddly and unsatisfying. Back in its day the makers had to keep up with the new technology or die, and multi mode cameras like the Minolta XD and Pentax Super A were the coming thing. Program mode was the big rage, with funny looking graphs in the magazines showing the various different programs. To be honest I've never used program mode, which passes control from the photographer to the camera, in my life.

All the A series cameras tend to suffer from the "Canon Squeal" or "Canon Cough", caused by dried out lubricant which slows the mirror mechanism.

i have both but use the A-1 much more. I'd really like to know specific reasons as to why some of the above posters say they would not use either. I am completely satisfied with mine.

I have owned both, along with most of the rest of the FD Cameras since getting my T90 back in 1990.

I now only own a new F-1 and a T90. I find the T90 much better than the A-1 in pretty much every possible way. I love the multiple metering modes especially the multi-spot metering with its shadow/highlight bias buttons.

I mainly shoot in Av mode, so the best compliment is the robust, flexible New F-1 with AE head. I also have the plain head and Winder FN.

If I ever bought an A-series again it would be the match needle manual only AT-1 - The only A or T series Canon to have open aperture manual metering.

All cameras in the A series, AE-1, AE-1p, A-1 seem to have more features for the money but they all lack one feature which is important. A metered manual mode that is a manual mode which you can read the meter and set the exposure without taking your eye off the viewfinder.

I agree this is an issue with the A & T series bodies, but they are not alone - for example manual mode in the Minolta X-700 works the same way as on an A-1/ AE-1/ EF.

I agree this is an issue with the A & T series bodies, but they are not alone - for example manual mode in the Minolta X-700 works the same way as on an A-1/ AE-1/ EF.

Nope! I don't have an X700 but reading the manual tells me that in manual you see the aperture, the camera suggested shutter speed and your set shutter speed. With either A-1 or AE1-p you do not see the set aperture but only the camera suggested aperture in the viewfinder.

Regardless of the merits of the functional features it is hard to beat the beautiful appearance of the A-1. It is a work of art. I don't know about the OP but now you've got me somewhat interested in a black FTb-N. I'm too much of a traditionalist to appreciate the look of the T70-90 series. I put up with the modern shape of my T6i only because it's digital. Edited by danac
  • Like 2
A book's a great place to hide out in - Trevanian

Nope! I don't have an X700 but reading the manual tells me that in manual you see the aperture, the camera suggested shutter speed and your set shutter speed. With either A-1 or AE1-p you do not see the set aperture but only the camera suggested aperture in the viewfinder.

I do have an X-700 and can assure you it only shows the suggested shutter speed in manual mode.

SO now that you have gotten answers from a dozen different people your choice is clear right? LOL Both are great cameras both will take great photos if you can take great photos. Buy one and play with it. If you decide you don't like something about it the other one offers buy the second one and either keep as back up the first or if money is tight sell it. Concentrate on the Glass you mount on the front of it. Virtually all the Canon glass is good so buy condition and you will be happy.

When you go to buy, consider KEH camera (KEH.com) as a source. They deal in used cameras and lenses. You can select the condition level -

"like new" down to "only good for parts"- that you want to deal with. I have gotten lenses from them and have been satisfied with their service and goods. End of plug.