Canon AE-1 Program - The Old Regime with new tricks

JDMvW

<p><strong>Canon AE-1 Program </strong><br />Introduced April, 1981.<br /><br />This camera is so well known that it is good only to point to the more useful discussions already on-line. However, I did want to post some recent results from it, so a little introduction is perhaps justified. I felt a compulsion to do something with the AE-1P in fairness, given my post on the T90 (<a href="../canon-fd-camera-forum/00WkhY">LINK</a>).<br /><br /><br />It was the next to the last of the A series [AE-1 (1976), AT-1 (1977), A-1 (1978), AV-1 (1979), AE-1 Program (1981), and AL-1 (1982)]. <br /><br />There are excellent discussions of the features of this camera as a Google™ for it will reveal. I like the discussion at <a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/ae1pgrm/index.htm">LINK</a>. <br /><br />Canon's own history and specifications are at <a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1976-1985/1981_ae-1pro.html?lang=us&categ=crn&page=1976-1985">LINK</a>. <br /> <br />The camera was introduced as an "upgrade" to the Canon AE-1 camera. Its outward appearance is nearly identical to the AE-1, but internally, it is virtually a new model. Its main novelty is its introduction of a "Program" mode that would set both shutter speed and aperture on the lens, as opposed to the shutter priority of the AE-1. It was also compatible with the A-1's Motor Drive MA, and many third-party motor advances were also available. In fact, one reason I got my AE-1 Program was that I had been collecting Spiratone "stuff" in a desultory way, without really admitting it to myself, and this one was being sold on eBay with a Spiratone motor drive. I got the drive and the camera with no lens for US$52 (known in my shrinking household as a 3- to 4-pizza buy) in ACE 2007. Current eBay completed listings vary considerably, but a working silver body without a winder seems to go for around US$40 these days, and with a winder, around what I paid for it several years ago.<br /><br />When I bought it, I had been eyeing FD-mount cameras for a while, having noted that some fairly interesting lenses were available on that mount for what were then very low prices. I picked up a good deal on a FD 50mm f/1.4 with a bent filter ring at my local camera store, straightened out the ring with the 'expander' tool from my Ed Romney kit of camera repair tools, and I was in business. (Romney's widow carried on for a long time after his death, but I can't find her site on-line anymore.)<br /><br />However, various things developed so I didn't shoot with it much, but did pick up some of the zooms available for the camera, including a 'new FD' 35-70mm and a 70-210mm, as well as a Spiratone 20mm lens and some T-mount adapters. At first, I had some of the dread Canon squeak, but that seems to have worked itself out. There are some forums here on fixes for that, if you Google™ Photo.net.<br /><br />Notwithstanding the AL-1 with its focus-confirmation feature and the New F-1 cameras of September of 1981, I personally consider the AE-1P to be the last major expression of the traditional Canon SLR, if for no other reason than the tremendous number of AE-1 Programs sold as well as Canon themselves not choosing to give a 'new name' to the New F-1. Well, anyhow, this has been argued before and I wouldn't insist on it. I, at least, feel no urge to acquire other traditional FD form cameras, although one of the lovely, all-black F-1s would be sort of nice. :)<br /><br />My little expedition on Sunday of Labor Day weekend was the first time since I got my Canon T90 that I had shot the AE-1 Program. I used the Spiratone motor drive and I was also shooting a Praktina IIa with a semi-automatic Tessar 50mm f/2.8 and a Canon 20D with the EF-S 17-85mm IS. This made for a fairly heavy load for the roughly two-mile hike up and down the hills at a park called Giant City State Park. Fortunately, it was a cool day for us at this time of year, even if a little warmer than Saturday.<br /><br />The feel of the AE-1P with the motor was surprisingly good. It had a little more 'heft' than the camera by itself, and there were satisfying whirrs and such as the film automatically advanced. Much as I like the Praktinas, I have to admit that, not having even a fast-wind lever on it, the Praktina was decidedly the loser in the "feel" category among the three cameras.<br />As for the AE1-P versus the EOS 20D, well the ergonomics of the grip on the EOS cameras in general (as pioneered on the T-90, of course) was the winner there.<br /><br />I was rather disappointed that none of the other hikers (on this weekend lots of people out on a cool day) made any comments on my load of cameras--carrying, as I was, one 60-year old camera, one 30-year old camera, and one 6-year old camera. I suspect I was like that Gary Larson Far Side cartoon with a guy wearing diving gear and an inner tube on a city street, entitled "how nature says 'do not touch'" (http://summitlake.com/graphics/wp-graphics/uploads/Gary-Larson-do-not-touch.gif).<br /><br />Anyway, here is my camera and some of the results.<br /><br /></p><div>00XFXF-278529584.jpg.c11b835f70bedc811253db719d8f353f.jpg</div>

<p>Some scenes from Giant City State Park are next. On Labor Day weekend the place was bustling. The top picture shows one of the original 1930s Civilian Conservation Corps paths and the bottom shows a CCC picnic shelter.</p><div>00XFXG-278531584.thumb.jpg.04857b45529bcd628122848b9c0b66ae.jpg</div>

<p>I should have mentioned that the film was simply Walgreen's ISO 200 negative film. No indication in the film margins except for the number 200. Is it still Ferrania like some earlier Walgreens' film?</p>

<p>That's all folks.</p>

<p>Nice to see a report on an old friend of mine. I had two AE-1's, then an AE-1P, of course liked the latter better. I used to flit around in a helicopter at work (Canadian Coast Guard), and always brought along my personal camera to shoot whatever I could. I had a problem using the AE-1, as the neck strap would sometimes move the shutter speed dial from where I had it set; it was mounted on the outside, and the strap snagged it. With the noise in the helicopter I didn't notice the unitentional slow shutter speed I was shooting at, and as a result some of my shots were ruined by too slow shutter speeds. The AE-1P cured that problem, moving the shutter speed dial inboard away from the strap. I also enjoyed using the camera with Motor Drive MA like the one I had for my A-1.</p>

<p>I've picked up an AE-1 and an A-1 in the past year just for old times' sake, doubt if I'll ever use them, with film processing becoming more rare these days. Maybe I should look into an AE-1P for my collection too!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hey, humping all that gear keeps you strong. :o) Better than the gym! It looks like a real nice place to shoot. I really like your trail scenes especially the one with the gazing figures. Boy, that 50mm f/1.4 is sweet. Good job on the rim.</p>

<p>If that Spiratone winder is anywhere near the whiny, grindy sound of my Canon A2 winder, not only will it keep people away, but every bit of wildlife in 30 yards will disappear. Insects seem to be affected however. I hardly use mine. For one, it doesn't wind <em>that</em> fast, the noise, but mostly the weight savings which is considerable.</p>

<p>Thanks for a fun post. </p>

<p>Louis, if it weren't for working out in the gym, I wouldn't have been <em><strong>able</strong></em> to carry all that stuff!</p>

<p>I actually found the sound of the Spiratone winder (a sort of whirr, as I said) to be "not unpleasant", especially compared to winding the knobs on the Praktina I was also carrying.</p>

<p>I remember staring lustfully at an AE-1P that a kid I went to boarding school with had. I also remember begging my parents to get me one, only to be told, firmly..."No. Not unless your grades improve."<br>

Can you guess what happened?<br>

Parents - stiflers of creativity.<br>

Excuse me while I go don a pair of black skinny jeans and write poetry expressing my angst.</p>

<p>Jeff, thanks for bringing that up.</p>

<p>I mentioned elsewhere that I had a bit of softened cushion that had got onto the screen of my AE-1P so a new screen was one of my first purchases. The box for it is in the lower center of this shot of my AE-1P and various accessories.</p>

<p>The FD bodies are also as good, maybe better, for using exotic lenses as are the newer Canons.<br>

The adapters for using Nikon and M42 lenses on the FD bodies are a little harder to find than for the EOS cameras, but they are out there, and there are people still making new adapters, especially in China.</p><div>00XFmy-278797584.jpg.37b0b23ac02d1d97bcf693dcefa3fe02.jpg</div>

<p>Erik, you're right. Mine was packaged in a box of 4 24-exposure rolls and labeled "96 total exposures", but when I looked on the outside, it does have a Product of Japan label. Thanks.</p>

<p>It does seem to have similar tonal quality to some Fuji 200 (no other name on it) that I recently shot.</p>