Canon AE-1 Program: Shutter Doesn't Fire

marcus_sciberras

<p>Hi All,<br>

This is my first post on here and of course it's due to a specific and puzzling dilemma.<br>

I bought a AE-1 Program off eBay as it was a fair price with minor cosmetic damage. The seller lived in the tropics and did warn of mildew, but I took the risk. Here's the problem:</p>

<p>The shutter advance leaver works, however, the shutter doesn't fire. To release the shutter I took off the bottom plate and disconnected the magnet. After doing so, the mirror flips up and goes through it's normal process. The new battery is fine and all other functions work normally (self timer, battery test view finder icons etc.)</p>

<p>I believe the wires which connect the shutter button is faulty. My question would be if anyone has had / reported a problem like this before?</p>

<p><a href="http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Canon-AE-1-35mm-Film-Camera-Body-Only-For-Parts-Restoration-/152318426766?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=V%252BucH0ubW2AxcfufpUvN6XuT9c8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc">eBay Listing</a><br>

Thank you,<br>

Marcus.</p>

<p>It may be worth trying a remote shutter release.</p>

<p>This is what I would do, but its your call entirely: run a couple of drops of lighter fluid or if you can get it, contact cleaner, around the shutter button, working the button up and down and allowing the fluid to soak downwards. It may just reach and clear any corrosion on the contacts. Or it may not, as I say its your call.</p>