Canon a1 work flow??

hi there. I just got a canon a1 and i belive it is fully functionen also with a brand new batteri. Now i want to shoot, lets say, av mode.

I turn on my camera. Set to av mode. Now the tricky part comes: i press down the shutter button to take a metering. The leds light up allright but when i let go it turns off. Can it realle be the truth that i have to press down the shutter button with my pointing finger and at the same time turn the AT wheel with the finger right next to the pointing finger ( i dont know whats it called in english) . This is very akward and allmost impossible for me. I thought that leds should stay on so that i could move my pointing finger from the shuurebutton to the wheel so that i could spin it to the right exposure. Please tell me there must be another workflow that i have missed because this is such a beautifull camera. Thanks

hi there. I just got a canon a1 and i belive it is fully functionen also with a brand new batteri. Now i want to shoot, lets say, av mode.

I turn on my camera. Set to av mode. Now the tricky part comes: i press down the shutter button to take a metering. The leds light up allright but when i let go it turns off. Can it realle be the truth that i have to press down the shutter button with my pointing finger and at the same time turn the AT wheel with the finger right next to the pointing finger ( i dont know whats it called in english) . This is very akward and allmost impossible for me. I thought that leds should stay on so that i could move my pointing finger from the shuurebutton to the wheel so that i could spin it to the right exposure. Please tell me there must be another workflow that i have missed because this is such a beautifull camera. Thanks

...or is there something wrong with my camera that the leds dosent stay on??

AFAIK, the LEDs only stay on as long as your finger is on the shutter. There's no way to set a delay as on a more modern camera. Try half pressing the button while you turn the front dial with your middle finger.

When I used mine all the time(it was my first SLR) I primarily shot in shutter priority, but would set the speed, take a reading, then adjust as necessary and take a reading again. It's not that slow of a workflow when you get use to it, and it comes from a long line of Canons where the meter only is temporarily actuated either by the shutter button(A series, EF), or a lever on the front(FT, Pellix). The FTb and old F-1 have a separate meter on/off switch, while on the F-1N you can set it to stay on for a few seconds. The T series also lets you do this.

This is not about the LED meter readout (or lack thereof) that you see in your viewfinder. Just a general piece of FYI since you're new to the A-1. When shooting in any auto exposure mode, including Av, the lens's aperture ring must be set to the "A" position.

Now about dealing with the LED readout. I've used the A-1 since 1983 and I've never found the momentary disappearance of exposure information to be troubling. I use my index finger to adjust the aperture and then depress the shutter button to evaluate exposure. Honestly, this supposed inconvenience hasn't even ever occurred to me.