Canon A1 Aperture Issues

wurl6

Hi! My first post on this community, so excuse any mistakes! I recently purchased a Canon A1, and it works okay except for one major issue; it doesn't correctly set the aperture when using any of the modes (except manual). For example, when I use program mode, it was say in the viewfinder e.g. 125 1.8, however it always shoots at f/16. Seems like the aperture selection lever is cooked? Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Is it too late to return the camera?

Often, it is less expensive to buy another camera body than to have it repaired, especially the A-1 if ebay is a guide. Search for CANON A1 , then scroll down the left side of the page until you see "sold items." Click on that and you will see finished auctions with the prices paid.

I had asked for the lens model because with some lenses the aperture lever can be locked. The FD 50mm 1:1.4 SSC being one of them. But I realized that this cannot be causing the issue.

I can think of three potential issues:

1. Lens not set to auto mode (green "A" or circle) but small aperture. (Kind of unlikely when you say you have tried different lenses.)
  2. AE switch bad. The viewfinder should always show the "M" symbol in this case. Operating the AE switch a few times can help. The AE switch is the pin located at the 8 o'clock position of the mount (camera side, viewed from the front).
  3. AE unit bad. This unit controls the aperture signal lever (the one moving vertically at the right hand side of the mirror box when viewed from the front). You can try to test the AE unit's function like this: Cock camera, set to Av mode and f1.0, press and keep pressed AE switch pin, apply gentle force directed towards the camera bottom to the aperture signal lever and release the camera. The lever should only move a tiny bit if at all. If it moves all the way down then the AE unit does not work properly.

A friend of mine recently asked me to help him eBay his pristine mint Canon A-1 outfit, that he'd owned since new for many years but hadn't used in ages. While it initially seemed to be working perfectly, we soon realized it was squealing and not stopping any of his FDn lenses down at all: every firing in every mode remained at wide open. This pretty much reduces the body value to zero, because repairs cost more than the camera is worth today. The kit went back into its leather satchel at the bottom of his hallway closet: no point trying to sell it.

If there's any possibility to return yours to the seller, that might be the best solution. If not, you may need to look for a replacement body as Vincent Peri suggested. Fortunately good, working A-1 bodies are very affordable at the moment.

Edited by orsetto

Thanks everyone for your responses! Especially cmuseum, I have discovered that the AE pin has fallen out from its usual position. Hopefully I can put it back and everything will work okay.

IMG_20190712_111307.thumb.jpg.d8d917e9c9983492163b217451bf7a49.jpg

Weird. This pin usually does not fall out. Could mean that something with the switch is wrong.

You will have to remove the front cover (four screws) and the body mount (another four screws, secured with a drop of bonding agent). Caution: There can be small shims under the body mount, don't loose them and replace them exactly were they were!