Canon A-1 won't fire with lens on A setting

jacek_ignaszak

<p>I recently bought a Canon A-1 along with a 50mm kit FD lens on eBay and it was said to be in fully working condition however whenever I try to operate the camera with the lens set on the A setting, I am unable to take a picture. For example, if I set the lens aperture ring to A and attempt to set a shutter speed in Tv mode, I will get an error message in the viewfinder displaying "EEEE EE". I have tried solving this issue by pushing in the double exposure lever and while cocking the film advance lever halfway will display the correct information on the viewfinder, I am still unable to fully press down on the shutter and take a picture. If I continue to cock the film advance lever all the way, I once again get the error message. The same thing happens in Av mode and the Program mode. The only way I am able to actually fire the shutter is by taking the lens off the A setting and manually adjusting the aperture ring while setting the shutter speed using the AT dial however I would like to be able to use the automatic program mode as well as aperture and shutter priority modes. I hope someone can help me with this issue since I am completely new to this camera.</p>

<p>Jacek</p>

<p>The Canon A-1 can be a tricky camera at times. I've never had the experience you are describing, but I would recommend getting a copy of the instruction manual and reading it carefully, making sure you do all the steps they show you. You can see a PDF of the instruction manual here:</p>

<p>http://www.cameramanuals.org/canon_pdf/canon_a1.pdf</p>

<p>Best,<br>

-Tim</p>

<p>Hey Tim,<br>

I've already read the manual and unfortunately all that is stated in it is to use the double exposure lever which doesn't fix the problem for me. I have read about other people having this problem online but can't find a solution. Some say it's related to the camera's circuit and that a repair is needed in which case I'd choose to return the camera to the seller which would be a shame because I was hoping to get it working.</p>

<p>Always try a few different batteries, preferably from different sources. The Canon A-Series cameras are totally dependent on batteries for all functions.<br>

If that fails to resolve your problem, the either return it for refund or have it evaluated/serviced by a qualified camera repairman.<br>

<br />Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Ed</p>

<p>I'll try new batteries when I get the chance, thanks Ed.<br>

@Thomas, if you're referring to the stop-down lever then it is not pushed into the lens. As a matter of fact I am unable to engage it with the lens on, it won't go all the way in. If I take the lens off I can engage it and see the red dot. I am not sure why it does not engage all the way, could this be related to the problem? Another thing I've noticed is that it takes a good amount of force to twist the lens off while pressing the lens release button if that's relevant. </p>

<p>Try fiddling with the cams on the back of the lens a bit. I know some models of lens let you lock the lens in stop-down mode by actuating the cam past a stop. if you've taken it off and on several times then it's probably not a bad mounting, but here are a lot of moving parts back there (3 cams/levers and 2 pins?).</p>

<p>I just joined and I have the exact same question/situation. And I've tried many FD lenses and mine is also harder to twist on that my other FD cameras/lenses. And I've also tried all the other "tricks" suggested elsewhere. The A-1 will work--with the meter--if I manually set the lens to a certain f-stop and then tell the camera which aperture I'm using while in Av (aperture priority) mode. There is obviously something interfering with communication between the lens and body.</p>

• 2 weeks later...