Canon A-1 won't fire or display viewfinder information

jacek_ignaszak

<p>I just got a second A1 after the first not working and 20 minutes out of the box, this one doesn't seem to want to function further either. I bought the camera with a 50mm FD lens and A1 Power winder. At first everything worked just as it should with metering information on the viewfinder and the shutter firing with no problems. I then attached the A2 power winder to the bottom of the camera to test it out and it worked well. I set the camera down for a few minutes and decided to try attaching a hotshoe flash from a previous camera which has worked with a previous A1. The flash was slightly more difficult to fit into the hotshoe but finally slid in and as I got ready to try firing the shutter (with the power winder still attached), I noticed there was no longer any display in the viewfinder albeit the camera being on and the viewfinder being on. I then noticed that I am unable to fire the shutter or see any information on the viewfinder no matter what I detached, pressed or took out. I tried replacing the battery, re-cocking the lever with the double exposure, using the bulb setting but nothing would once again display information in the viewfinder or let me fire the shutter. Note that when I use the battery check button, the LED flashes as it should but nothing gets displayed. Did I somehow fry the camera's electronics with the flash or power winder? I used 1.2V AA batteries for the winder instead of the 1.5v as illustrated on the bottom simply to check if its working but I doubt this would cause a big issue like this. Any help is greatly recommended, I would really like to finally have an A1 that works without constantly having to trouble shoot.<br>

Thanks in advance,<br>

Jacek</p>

<p>Interesting. I have been using a Vivitar 283 with my New F1 (and other cameras) since the 80s with no problems. OK, I did have some work done on the(N)F1 recently. Has anyone had any problems with a New F1 and a Vivitar 283 or similar flash. I do have a 577G, but it is a beast to lug around.</p>

You can't imagine how complicated the inside of an A1 is unless you have been repairing cameras professionally for a few years now I wouldn't suggest you try swapping out the electronics.

What flash was it you were using?

Can you see through the viewfinder?

Hey,

I was using a Braun hobby 17b flash and yes I can see through the viewfinder but there is not LED display even tho the camera is on. The shutter will also not fire.

You can't imagine how complicated the inside of an A1 is unless you have been repairing cameras professionally for a few years now I wouldn't suggest you try swapping out the electronics.

What flash was it you were using?

Can you see through the viewfinder?

• 2 weeks later...

After you remove the top cover of an A-1, you will see one big flex circuit that lays atop almost the entire top surface of the inside of the camera. Chances are one or more components of this flex circuit got fried. If you have a parts A-1, you can try swapping out the flex circuits, but it will be a job and a half, and your soldering skills should be top notch.

A-1s are common on the used market, places like eBay. It used to be until quite recently that you could find them on eBay for cheap -- like $40 or less. But now I see that sellers are asking a lot for them. Your best way to proceed in this case would be to participate in an auction with a low starting price. You'll probably still be able to pick one up for a good price if you do this.