Canon A-1 Motor Drive MA stopped working

mike_sowsun

<p>My Canon A-1 Motor Drive MA just stopped working one day for apparently no reason. I had been using it earlier in the day and it worked fine, then later that day it was dead. I can still use the camera film advance lever, and all 3 shutter release buttons still work. When I plug-in a remote shutter release in the motor drive, it does NOT work. I have tried other batteries, but have had no luck so far. <br /><br />I opened it up partially, looked around and everything looks OK. There is a small switch on the battery pack that gets depressed when it is mounted to the motor drive and it is operating normally. I can measure the voltage at the terminals on the top of the battery pack. <br /><br />Any suggestions?</p>

<div>00ZMsY-400627584.jpg.569dd03f41197aeb6bed25c19f887422.jpg</div>

<p>Looks to me the remote shutter release in making the trouble as all other buttons are working fine. I know Canon made an wiresless remote system wich can be set to different channels. If you use this kind of remote check if receiver and transmitter are set to the same channel.<br>

If you use a wired system probably the cable is broken inside. Try to open the plug and bridge the connectors with some metal to see if the drive is running.</p>

<p>Regards,</p>

<p>Rob</p>

<p>Rob is right - I missed the fact that you said all the shutter buttons work. If you bend copper cables they can break inside. with an old remote release if you fold the cable the same way repeatedly the copper cores will break. The iGO power cables for PCs are terrible for this they last 1-2 years before the power cable fails!</p>

<p>The shutter buttons trip the shutter, but the motor does not advance the film. I believe there is something wrong with the motor or motor control circuitry.<br>

<br />The remote control shutter release is actually new, so that is not the problem either. Somehow the motor failure also prevents the remote plug from working.<br>

<br />I found a replacement at Keh.com for only $12 plus shipping, so I will just replace it. <br /><a href="http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Manual-Focus-Motor-Drives-and-Winders/1/sku-CA160104010480?r=FE">http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Manual-Focus-Motor-Drives-and-Winders/1/sku-CA160104010480?r=FE</a><br>

<br />Thanks for all the suggestions.</p>

<p> </p>