Canon A-1 Batter Drain Issue

john_theurer

Hello,

I have a Canon A-1 that I purchased in late 2018. I used it quite a bit and then it sat for about a month. When I went back to use it the battery had died. Knowing that these batteries are supposed to last about a year I replaced it. I went to use it a week later, and the new battery had died. I started doing some research and discovered that some people have had similar issue. One possible cause (as far as i know) could be corrosion under the top cover. I pulled it apart and the only thing i found resembling corrosion was on the 2 "prongs" that are used for the hot shoe. I cleaned them to the best of my ability and put it back together. Could this be the issue? The other common issue i could find was the circuit board going bad. Any advise would be much appreciated,

• 2 years later...

Hi John,

It's not an uncommon problem with age (some A1 bodies are 45 years old +) and is to do with micro resistors on the internal flexi circuit board. If you can get to a good repair technician, s/he may be able to fix it, but if your A1 is otherwise mechanically and cosmetically good, I'd be tempted to buy another working A1 body online and ask the technician to cannibalize the parts.