Canon A-1 - A-series "professional camera"

JDMvW

<p><strong>Canon A-1 - a "professional camera" in the A series.</strong><br /><br />April 1978<br>

FD mount<br>

Kadlubek Nr.CAN0650 <br /><br />w/ FD 28mm f/2.8<br /><br />The eBay ad was fairly explicit-<br /><br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Canon A-1 SLR Film Camera w/ Canon FD 28mm 1:2.8 Lens & Case Parts/Repair</strong><br /><br />This Canon A-1 SLR film camera is in good, used cosmetic condition. It shows scuffs/scratches/dust/dirt due to normal use and storage. The lens is clear and free from scratches but does not zoom smoothly. The film chamber door is difficult to open. It is being sold as-is for parts/repair as we were unable to fully test it due to lack of batteries. Please not that the camera/lens may need additional repair that we are unaware of.<br /><br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Emboldened by a history of success in reanimating old East German cameras, especially Exaktas, I put in a low bid on this, and found out that the other 6 bidders were even more cheapskates that I was. I suspected that a prime lens would not, in any case. "zoom smoothly" but suspected rightly that the focus was scratchy.<br /><br />Well, I won for the price of around two pizzas ($27). I figured that even a non-functioning one that looked nice would be a good shelf queen and that if the lens was salvageable it lone would be a nice wide angle for my other FD-mount cameras (AE-1 Program, T70, T80, T90).<br /><br /><br />When it came, the obvious first flaw was that the lens bezel was broken, but there was no other sign of any damage, except that turning the focus ring felt like there was a pint of sand in the lens grooves. I tried blowing out the lens with a 'rocket' blower from the back, shook it vigorously, blew in air from the front, worked it, and either got the grit out, or pulverized it into lubricant because the lens became smoother, the more I worked it. <br /><br /><br /></p><div>00b82L-508277584.jpg.aef31539220ba0577cd351aedac80952.jpg</div>

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>In cleaning up the body proper, I found out that the film speed dial would not turn, and was at a slight angle. I took it in to my local camera store maven since I didn't want to force anything that I wasn't doing right. He confirmed that the dial was non functional, but pointed out that the rewind spindle appeared to be bent.<br /><br /></p><div>00b82N-508277684.jpg.d8fa435c49989dbcaae817a1c1a31a45.jpg</div>

<p>He said that once he had dropped an A-series camera and had the same thing happen. He had, he said, straightened it out with a pliers. Hmmm.<br />I took it home, looked at it for a while, then took a pliers to the shaft and applied very moderate pressure against the direction of the bent. Immediately, the spindle loosened, dropped down smoothly into the camera, and the film speed dial now worked smoothly and was properly seated. I checked it out against my Gossen Luna-Pro meter and the TTL readings and the meter pretty much agreed. The test would be the actual shooting with it.<br /><br />After I had bought the A-1 and lens, I had downloaded every service manual I could find on the internet for this camera. But then I found a wonderful, but tragically flawed, website called Loos(e)Canons ( http://looscanons.com/tutorials/index2.html ). It has DIY Tutorials on many cameras (not all Canons, either). <br />Canon T70 "Dead" motor Fix, <br />Canon A Series "shutter Squeak: Repair<br /> and, yes, <br />Canon A-1 top cover removal ( http://looscanons.com/tutorials/tutA1/index2.html )<br /><br />I don't know how well Loos(e)Canons would work for those of you who have figuratively "staked yourself naked at the crossroads", but the way I have my computer set I had to manually click every little arrow to see the next image. Very patiently I clicked and clicked until I had viewed the entire tutorial for taking off the A-1 top. Let's just say that it's not nearly so easy as most cameras since a bunch of other parts have to be taken off first, long before you get to the actual top cover. I was very glad I had used the pliers on the shaft. :|<br /><br />So, after I cleaned off the dust, grime, and other camera smegma, here was what I got for myself<br /><br /></p><div>00b82P-508277784.jpg.8adf147dae0901f7bf0a4770a0979dce.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

<p>Here are the specs on this camera, as usual in these well-documented examples from Canon's own Camera Museum ( http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/index.html )</p>

<table width="646" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><colgroup><col width="65" /> <col width="112" /> <col width="469" /> </colgroup>

<tbody>

<tr>

<td width="65" height="15"> </td>

<td width="112">Type</td>

<td width="469">35mm focal-plane shutter SLR camera</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height="15"> </td>

<td width="112">Picture Size</td>

<td width="469">24 x 36 mm</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height="15"> </td>

<td width="112">Normal Lens</td>

<td width="469">Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 SSC, FD 50mm f/1.4 SSC</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height="15"> </td>

<td width="112">Lens Mount</td>

<td width="469">FD mount</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height="60"> </td>

<td width="112">Shutter</td>

<td width="469">Four-axis, horizontal-travel focal-plane shutter with cloth curtains. X, B, 30, 15, 8, 4, 2, 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000 sec. All speeds controlled electronically. Built-in self-timer (with 2- and 10-sec. delay and blinking LED). Multiple exposures enabled with a lever. Electronic shutter release.</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height="15"> </td>

<td width="112">Flash Sync</td>

<td width="469">X-sync automatic-switching sync contacts with German socket and hot shoe.</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height="85"> </td>

<td width="112">Viewfinder</td>

<td width="469">Fixed eye-level pentaprism. 0.83x magnification, 93.4% vertical coverage, 95.3% horizontal coverage. Split-image rangefinder encircled by microprism rangefinder at center of fresnel matte screen. Eyepiece shutter provided. Six interchangeable focusing screens optional (installed by service personnel). The standard screen was later replaced by the brighter and sharper Laser Matte screen.</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height="50"> </td>

<td width="112">Viewfinder Information</td>

<td width="469">Digital readout with 7-segment red LED for shutter speed, aperture, dedicated Speedlite flash-ready, manual settings, and warning displays.</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height="99"> </td>

<td width="112">Metering & Exposure Control</td>

<td width="469">SPC for TTL full-aperture centerweighted averaging metering or TTL stopped-down metering. Exposure compensation range of 2 EV. AE lock provided. Five AE modes: Shutter speed-priority AE, aperture-priority AE, program AE, preset aperture-priority AE, and Speedlite AE (with dedicated Speedlite). The mode is set with a selector dial. Metering range at ISO 100 and f/1.4: EV -2 - 18. Film speed range from ISO 6 to 12800 in 1/3 steps.</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height="30"> </td>

<td width="112">Power Source</td>

<td width="469">One 4G-13 6 V mercury oxide battery or 4LR44 alkaline battery. Battery check with button and blinking LED.</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height="47"> </td>

<td width="112">Film Loading & Advance</td>

<td width="469">Slotted take-up spool. Advances with camera-top lever's 120 stroke (partial strokes enabled). Ready position at 30.</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height="15"> </td>

<td width="112">Frame Counter</td>

<td width="469">Counts up. Resets automatically when camera back is opened. Counts down during rewind.</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height="15"> </td>

<td width="112">Film Rewind</td>

<td width="469">Camera-top crank</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height="30"> </td>

<td width="112">Dimensions & Wt</td>

<td width="469">141 x 92 x 48 mm, 620 g</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>Frankly, I think that this camera is one of the peaks of the Canon line for the traditional form camera. Together with the even more popular AE-1 Program, they provide a quality device for manual and automatic function, not including, of course, autofocus. Yet they are the end of the traditional camera too. After this, everything was plastic.<br /><br />When I got the film processed, it looked like I should have followed the Gossen meter - it was overexposed by a half stop or so. The meter setting dial (after 'restoration') may not be exactly where it is supposed to be.<br /><br />This morning was supposed to be the last sunshine for a few days, so after a doctor's appointment, I drove out into the country near my house., I'm on the edge of the town and the University Farms own everything to the south.<br /><br /></p><div>00b82R-508279584.jpg.ed616288ff8298daacf8ba25293a8b28.jpg</div>

<p>I had been shooting the old early AF cameras for so long, that I had to remember to focus and advance the film manually. I do have a motor advance that will work on this, but thought I'd shoot it to start with as it came.</p>

<p>It's not only an attractive camera in the traditional form (pretty well set by the SLR Contaxes), but it is very pleasant to shoot with. I do have a touch of the "squeak", but that worked itself out of my AE-1 Program with some use, so I don't think I'll brave removing the top on this camera.</p>

<p>It was fun to get back to the basics. Not sure where I'll be going next as I have now finished up several series on various kinds of old cameras.<br>

By the bye, the film was Kodak Ultramax 400.<br>

Finally, for the Happy Holidays (I say keep the "X" in Xmas!), here is a grain bin and a holley tree.</p><div>00b82Y-508281784.jpg.0ec1099d71e0ad3176db65864fe0d876.jpg</div>

• Like 1

<p>When I was saving up for my first SLR in 1978/1979, the Canon A-1 made it to the top of the list. I even purchased a book to become familiar with it before I had enough money to buy the camera. As it turned out, a steep price increase prevented me from becoming a Canon owner (and from suffering through the FD to EOS mount transition); I purchased a Nikon FM and 105/2.5 instead.</p>

<p>Several have mentioned the original cost. With the FD 50mm f/1.8 lens it was $630 in 1980 dollars. The very popular Canon AE-1 with the same lens was 'only' $451. Depending on which index is used, the 1980 dollar would be between $2.50 and $5.00 in 2012 dollars. Using my very own "how much does a 1st class letter cost to mail" index, that Canon A-1 new today would be roughly $1800.</p>

<p>Here is the page on the A-1 from the December 1980 <em>Modern Photography.</em></p><div>00b855-508307584.jpg.41b2441e3cad00806ea2b034b98c941f.jpg</div>

• Like 1

<p>Nice work and write-up as always, JDM!</p>

<p>I was given an A-1 with FD 50mm f/1.4 SSC lens a while back. It was in good working order except for the infamous Canon A-series mirror box squeak, so I had it overhauled and now it performs like a champ. I've used it on a number of occasions with consistently good results. As I mentioned in another thread recently, it's my favorite film camera for hand-held indoor theater shooting because it meters well in low light, it has an ISO 6400 setting (unlike, say, the Olympus OM-2N, which only goes to 1600), and my fastest long lens is the FD 200mm f/2.8 SSC.</p>

<p>Louis, thanks for the brochure!</p>

<p>Very nice JDM, and thank you for rescuing an A-1 from the trash heap. My father still has an A1, despite having graduated since then to a T90, a Nikon F801, a Nikon F65, and more recently a D60. I begged him to give me his A1 along with its bag of FD lenses but he refused. I ascribe that to my father's love for the camera and not his lack of love for his son...grumble...</p>

<p>Much to my delight an uncle of mine sold me his A1 with a 50mm 1.8. I've since added a 70-210 F4 like you (a vastly underrated lens IMHO), 35-105 3.5 (superb little lens), 80-200 F4, 35 F2, Kiron FD mount 24 2.8, Kiron 105...sigh the addiction....I blame Louis Meluso for his several wonderful posts in the FD forum. I was much saddened to read that Louis was putting his FD gear away. I'm hoping it's only temporary.</p>

<p>Anyways, have fun with the A1, JDM. Its a wonderful beast. You might consider getting the Motor Drive MA, if only because it adds some balance and heft to the camera when using the bigger zoom lenses. And watch out for the battery door cracking.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I said</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Yet they are the end of the traditional camera too. After this, everything was plastic.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's true enough, but perhaps unclear.<br>

For the record, the huge exception that everyone at the time of its release took to the A-series was that many parts were, horrors!, <em>plastic</em>.<br>

I think, time has shown that these cameras do as well as their all-metal contemporaries.</p>

<p>Interestingly, I have been told that some exterior plastic parts were given "brass" undercoatings beneath the black or chrome final finish so that wear would seem to show "brassing" of the traditional kind. I don't know if this is folklore or truth, however, and I'm not going to scratch up my A-series cameras to confirm it. :|</p>

<p>Hi, JDM. Yep, it's me again. I bought my A-1 body in July 1977 locally for $330 plus tax. The following year, I bought a Motor Drive MA. While I lusted for an F-1 with a motor drive, the A-1 made more sense economically and it had the added bonus of the various AE modes. The learning curve was steep, having only used a Canon FTb to that point, but my A-1 became my primary camera.</p>

<p>Of course, I felt the need to set the record straight on the "plastic" body panels used on the A series cameras. Here are quotes from Popular Photography's stripdown report on the Canon AE-1 published in May 1977:</p>

<p>"[T]he top and front outer panels are molded plastic measuring 0.8mm thick with an electroplated overcoating of copper, nickel, and chrome whose combined thickness measures 0.2mm on each side of the plastic. Thus the plastic cover panels have a metal skin on both sides that represents one-third of the total thickness of the panel.<br /> The result is a substantial savings in the cost of making these parts, along with a reduction in weight. At the same time, the precision and function of the parts leave nothing to be desired. In fact, where a sharp blow with a sharp object would noticeably dent a metal cover panel, it would simply leave a bright mark on the plated-plastic one. I tried throwing (not just dropping) the plated-plastic top-cover panel from an AE-1 on a concrete floor. It simply bounced, without a dent left in it. Next I tried to dent it by striking it with a sharp hammer. Still no dents, just bright marks from the burnishing of impact."</p>

<p>Here are extracts from their stripdown report on the Canon A-1 from their April 1979 issue:</p>

<p>"In the AE-1's Stripdown Report, I said it was one of the most elaborate mechanical cameras being made. The A-1 is even more elaborate mechanically."</p>

<p>"The ... top and mirror-box front panel are made of the same well-proven plastic used on the AE-1. This is a plastic that's metal-plated, then painted (in the case of the black-finished models). The bottom cover is a substantial brass stamping"</p>

<p>So, the plastic body panels on the A-1 are plastic with three layers of metal plating under the black paint.</p>

• Like 1

<p>My A-1 came with a 28mm f2.8 FD with breech ring and the book along with a battery door that works but is askew when open. The camera does not "speak" the squeak to me when I fire the shutter. I've been told if you can stand the squeak it has no effect on the longevity of the A-series Canons. I've added the camera to my FD Collection consisting of F-1 ca 1977(second incarnation) with rare Motor Drive Unit the one with over the shoulder battery box corded to the motor with the ungainly/ insanely under the camera grab handle but it has a built in intervalometer!! My lenses consist of 24mm f2.8, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.4, 135mm f3.5 all with silver breeching ring my preference as I use these same lenses and get infinity using Canon converter B ring to my Leica II and M-3.</p><div>00b8Ha-508433584.thumb.jpg.e533fe9452418a369aed22fc7d1c1983.jpg</div>

<p>Gordon, that indeed makes more sense than the idea that the 'brass' was put there to deceive. ;)<br>

I had read that without connecting it to what I was told about the finish... DUH<br>

I could see from "brassing" that the bottom plate seemed to really be brass.</p>

<p>I used the same "Squeak-repair Kit" that <strong>Fred</strong> used and it worked beautifully on an AE-1P and an A-1. I was never a fan of the A-1 at all until I used the last one I had for some time, and then I grew to really like it. Ultimately I sold it to fund an F-1, but I think I'll find another one. Nice post, JDM; thanks!</p>

<p><strong>Kayam</strong>-I agree that the 70-210 is an underrated lens. I had one that produced wonderful results!</p>