Canon 7D problem with RAW format

NimArt

<p>Hi<br>

Recently I have upgraded from Canon 350D to 7D.<br>

First of all I have to say its an amazing camera , but I have a problem with RAW format files.<br>

I took some RAW shots and when I upload them into my computer and wanted to open them in photoshop CS3, the answer was " could not complete your requestbeacuase it is not the right kind of document."<br>

Can anyone inform me what is the problem please? is it for the photoshop CS3 or what?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance<br>

Nima</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) plug-in to Photoshop CS3 is not directly compatible with 7D raw files. The version of ACR that comes with CS4, if updated to the latest version, will handle these files. Also Canon's own DPP software will process the files. Another option is to use Adobe's free DNG converter to turn your 7D raws into the universal DNG raw format; your version of ACR will handle these DNGs without problem.</p>

<p>You can download the DNG converter here:<br>

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/<br>

(see links on right hand side of page)</p>

<p>The new Adobe Camera Raw Release Candidate 5.6 has the new updated conversion for 7D files. You don't want to use 5.5. Also the equivalent release candidate for the DNG converter and Lightroom should be available as well. There is quite a difference between 5.5 and 5.6 when it comes to 7D raw conversion. </p>

<p>I would advise using the latest DNG release candidate converter with CS3, and not updating to CS4 right now. CS5 should be out soon enough. DNG Converter is free, and I know that upgrading to CS4 now for its marginal gains for a few months would not be worthwhile for me.</p>

<p>I agree with the suggestion to wait to upgrade Photoshop until CS5. Until then do as Ed and others say.<br>

I have found over the years that every other upgrade is usually all you need to do in the Creative Suite/Photoshop programs unless there is some mission critical new feature for what you are doing.</p>

<p>I hope I'm not side-tracking this thread, but does anyone know if photoshop CS2 can open images from a 7D? I'm thinking of upgrading to a 7D but don't want the added expense of upgrading my photoshop. (Upgrading photoshop will probably entail buying a new computer as this one can barely limp along with CS2 loaded.)<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Pamela, CS2 will not open 7D files, as the version of ACR that opens them (5.5 or above) will not work with CS2. But converting the 7D's CR2 files to Adobe DNG files is a simple and free process that will work fine on your computer. Besides, DNG has some advantages when working with Adobe's software. More info on their website.</p>

<p>Just joined photo.net and this is my second try to respond... I too just bought a 7d and can not download into my Elements 7.0. I've complained to Adobe and they just send me to a blog site. No offense, but They should have the answer! I have downloaded both files from Adobe being suggested here and neither have helped yet. I'm afraid I'll just have to wait for an update from Adobe... UNLESS anyone else has a different suggestion. thanks Jeff</p>

<p>Jeffrey, I see nothing on that Adobe Labs page for ACR 5.6 release candidate that says it will work with Elements 7, so perhaps it won't. But the DNG converter (dngconverter5-6_r1_win_111809.exe) will convert CR2 files that should work with Elements 7. You downloaded the DNG converter from http://download.macromedia.com. Use that to convert your CR2 files to DNG files first, and these files should work with Elements 7.</p>

<p>Are you saying that you did all this and these DNG files still won't work with Elements 7? Interesting, if so.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>My update from my Dec. 2nd response is that I have received another email from Adobe with the announcement that they have put out a new 5.6 Raw plug-in that supports Canon 7d. It indeed shows up on their supported list now. I followed instructions exactly and unfortunately it still does not allow me to directly import .CR2 images into Elements 7.0. In fact now I can't even open older .CR2 files that I had previously imported from 20d and 5d cameras. I have just complained again and will let you know what they say to do.</p>

<p>Gerry, the latest raw plugins will never work for CS3 or older version of Potoshop. That's not the way Adobe does things. Their work around is the DNG converter. I don't know what version of PS Elements they cut off for ACR 5.0 and above, but for Photoshop you have to have CS4.</p>