Canon 70D or SD card problem?

katsone

Recently I've had a problem while shooting with the Canon 70D. After shooting a few .jpg images when I go to turn off the camera, there's a message on the screen stating that "information is still being recorded." The red busy light is also still on. I've popped the battery out to stop the message, and there are no corrupt images or missing images. I am stumped! I've changed SD cards, re-formated them (it seems to be happening to 2 cards) and they work fine for a while then it will happen again. I don't know if it's the camera or the cards. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? The cards are 1- a PNY "elite performance" 64 GB and 2- an "extreme" 16 GB SanDisk. thanks for any feedback. I'll be buying new cards in any case.

I have never had a Sandisk card go bad, even after years of use, and the odds of having two defective cards at once are pretty low, but it could happen, particularly if it is the camera that is doing something to them.

To format the cards, just go to "format' in the menus and select low level. That's all there is too it.

All that said, this is weird. JPEGs are small files, so the camera should not take much time writing them to the card. I've had four Canon bodies, ranging from much cheaper than yours to more expensive, and none has had delays writing single files to the cards, even though I always shoot raw, and raw files are much larger. The only time this is an expected behavior is when you shoot bursts. Are these single shots, or are you shooting bursts? Also, that light and message indicate that the image is still being written to the card, so it's surprising that the images are not corrupted when you pull the battery while the light is still on.

Did you do anything with these cards other than formatting them in the camera and using them to capture images? E.g., did you format them in a different device?

I have never had a Sandisk card go bad, even after years of use, and the odds of having two defective cards at once are pretty low, but it could happen, particularly if it is the camera that is doing something to them.

To format the cards, just go to "format' in the menus and select low level. That's all there is too it.

All that said, this is weird. JPEGs are small files, so the camera should not take much time writing them to the card. I've had four Canon bodies, ranging from much cheaper than yours to more expensive, and none has had delays writing single files to the cards, even though I always shoot raw, and raw files are much larger. The only time this is an expected behavior is when you shoot bursts. Are these single shots, or are you shooting bursts? Also, that light and message indicate that the image is still being written to the card, so it's surprising that the images are not corrupted when you pull the battery while the light is still on.

Did you do anything with these cards other than formatting them in the camera and using them to capture images? E.g., did you format them in a different device?

Hi Paddler,

Thank you for your reply to my question. It happened to me again today, and when I pulled the battery the image was lost. I'm not shooting RAW, I formated the cards in this camera, I just can't figure this out. I'm going to bring the camera and cards to my camera shop tomorrow and see if they know of this issue. All the common sense trouble shooting questions have been addressed. I'll let you and Trigger happy know how I make out.

Katherine

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious about what happened with this. Did you get a resolution?

I have had one issue with one of my Sandisk cards, and their support was awesome. If you're still having issues, I would recommend contacting SanDisk about it.

The other thing I would recommend is verifying that your cards are genuine, not counterfeit. There are tons of counterfeits out there, and even reputable sellers get fooled by them and sell them to unsuspecting customers. Many people never know they've got a fake because, most of the time, they work well enough for the average user. But their reliability is not as good as the real ones, and they don't perform as well. Speed is one of the areas where the fakes are not up to par.

If this is happening with multiple cards, especially in the same way, and at the same time, the problem is undoubtedly (or at least very very likely) within the camera.

The first thing I would do is reinstall the camera's firmware. Then I would do a hard format on each card in computer, then in camera. Then see if you can replicate the problem. I think it's very possible the firmware has become corrupted, and fixing that is very very free.

I'm curious about what happened with this. Did you get a resolution?

I have had one issue with one of my Sandisk cards, and their support was awesome. If you're still having issues, I would recommend contacting SanDisk about it.

The other thing I would recommend is verifying that your cards are genuine, not counterfeit. There are tons of counterfeits out there, and even reputable sellers get fooled by them and sell them to unsuspecting customers. Many people never know they've got a fake because, most of the time, they work well enough for the average user. But their reliability is not as good as the real ones, and they don't perform as well. Speed is one of the areas where the fakes are not up to par.

Hi Dave, thanks for asking. I have been advised by a couple of experts that my issue is probably in camera. Luckily I live close to Canon's Melville NY facility so I'll bring the camera out to them soon. They will ship it out for repair. Unfortunately it's no longer under warranty. I just received a beautiful refurbished power shot to replace my S100 that they couldn't repair. It's been a tough couple of months!

Hi Dave, thanks for asking. I have been advised by a couple of experts that my issue is probably in camera. Luckily I live close to Canon's Melville NY facility so I'll bring the camera out to them soon. They will ship it out for repair. Unfortunately it's no longer under warranty. I just received a beautiful refurbished power shot to replace my S100 that they couldn't repair. It's been a tough couple of months!

It does seem more likely that one camera would "go bad" than that two memory cards from two reputable brands would "go bad" at the same time. Good luck with it!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
It does seem more likely that one camera would "go bad" than that two memory cards from two reputable brands would "go bad" at the same time. Good luck with it!

Finally an update, I brought my 70D to Canon's new HQ here on LI. The "Camera needs PCB Main Board Ass'y and Contact Pin Ass'y." It's pricey, labor parts, tax and shipping $481.05. I'm not happy with the cost repairs but I trust Canon and it's worth it to me. Electronics, stuff happens. I'll have it back probably by the end of next week.

• Like 1

Looking forward to an update. I've been using a 70D for the past year and no problems so far - knock on wood.

Hi Mark, I love my 70D, feeling lonely without it for the past 4 days! It's out for repair and I have full confidence in Canon. I had just turned 10000 actions before I brought it in. I don't foresee any further problems with it.

• Like 1

From my Lightroom data I can see that I'm just over 15000 on my 70D. Still going strong, batteries and all. Love the tilting screen.

Wow, that's great to hear! I got the camera back this morning, very fast from the time they said it was shipped. The final report was that "the circuit board did not operate properly because the part was out of position. The circuit board and lens contact ass'y was replaced." I must have bumped it at some point for that to happen. I'm a happy customer! Canon service has been wonderful for me 2x this summer.

• Like 1