canon 70-200 f2.8 or 85 f 1.8 for additional wedding lens

arthur_bunda1

If you do a lot of outdoor weddings/receptions, the long zoom will be very helpful. If you do a lot of indoor ones, the 85 will. But the 2.8 zoom is big. I went for the f4L, which is quite fast enough for outdoors and I use the 100 f2.0 for indoor shots. You can get both for less than the price of the 2.8.

Which body will you use? I have both lenses and am extremely happy with both. However, the 70-200 2.8 is a bit heavy for non mono/tripod work. I use a monopod to shoot soccer with mine. For an outdoor wedding where one is sitting apart, one could use the 70-200 f2.8 or f4 for spontaneous distal images.

How do you like your Tokina @ 80? The 85mm does not give much more tele benefit though it is an extremely sharp and fast lens.

I am considering the Canon EF 85 f/1.8 versus the 100 f/2.0. I'd like to use it as a general purpose complement to my EF II 50 f/1.8. I've been having trouble photographing indoor sporting events, recitals, dance competitions, etc. with my slow zoom and I am looking to work with primes like the 50/1.8 which is my first (pleasant) introduction to a really great lens. My camera back is the Canon Digital Rebel. My question is: Which focal length have people found to be most useful? Is the 100 too long for these applications? Is there any noticeable difference in the speed between the 1.8 and the 2.0? Thanks in advance for the advice!