Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II price

paul_h.

Hi all,

I've more or less talked myself into the 2.8 70-200. I don't know much about how Canon prices typically behave so is the $2499 what the

long term price of the mark II version this lens should be? Or will it settle down closer to the $1800 of the old model? If the price is

expected to go down to some lower level how long does that normally take?

<p>It depends on the law of supply and demand. If you need the lens today, buy it; otherwise, wait. Will the price go up or down? No one knows. I bought the 5D II on Jan 27, 2009 at $2699. Today is $2499. Are 14 months of pictures worth $200? You tell me.</p>

<p>If you decide to save your money and get the MkI, GET IT NOW! When it sells out completely it will be gone, no more production of the MkI! I had to look several places to find mine, but did and am in love! :) You will love the MkI it is hands down my favorite lens I use it 80-90% of the time!</p>

<p>Thanks for all the responses guys. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't going to be showing up for a little bit more then I would pay for a mark I right now. Obviously it's not which is really all I needed to know.</p>

<p>Just picked up a used I for $1k less then the new II. So its done. :^)</p>

<p>Generally I never buy a lens that has just hit the market. You need to give it at least a year or two to let the market reach saturation. A good website to monitor prices is http://www.photoprice.ca/ so you can judge what is fair. I noticed in Canada our prices fluctuate a lot and prices go down when our dollar is strong. It can take around 1 to 2 quarters of a year to see the prices change at a local dealer. Canon rebates are a good way to save as well. Especially since in Canada the rebate often gets applied at point of sale.<br>

One other thing is dealers can lower the price of the lens for you if you are willing to bargain. There is plenty of room in lens prices but you have to not take the first no and also do your research. Both my L lens were bought from Henrys and I got them to match and beat the competitors.</p>

<p><strong>I know the OP bought a lens already, but it's still an interesting question.</strong></p>

<p>Randy wrote:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Generally I never buy a lens that has just hit the market. You need to give it at least a year or two to let the market reach saturation."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Philip wrote:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I bought the 5D II on Jan 27, 2009 at $2699. Today is $2499. Are 14 months of pictures worth $200? You tell me."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Who's right? Both are (though I think more like Philip).</p>

<p>It depends on how much you expect to use the lens between now to when it drops $100-$200 and how much that money means to you. $200 is no trifle, but when it represents less than 10% of the cost of an item, it can seem like self-punishment to wait a year or two to save that much.</p>

<p>Phillip is talking about a body though. Bodies get updated much more often and new technology comes out all the time, driving the prices of bodies down regularly. Lenses do not do this. Also, resale value of lenses is much higher. If a new body comes out, it will be almost half price for a used one within a few years. With lenses, the most you'll save is a couple hundred dollars. For example, my 70-200mm f/4L was $500 used, but it listed for $650 new and this model has been around for several years. $150 off the new price is hardly any depreciation, and $500 was a bargain.</p>