Canon 7 - In the Light of Day

Lou_Meluso

<p>This is a 1961 Canon 7 Rangefinder. The 7 series was the apex, and the last, of the Canon rangefinder line and represented decades of cumulative rangefinder knowledge, design experience and production technique. Introduced fast on the heels of the popular Canon P, the Canon 7 was huge success for Canon, producing over 137, 200 units.</p>

<p>The 7 sported many features that photographers clamored for such as an on-board Selenium meter with high/low sensitivity, clear projected frame lines for 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm and 135mm lenses and a reworked shutter that allowed the addition of a “T” setting on the shutter dial to accompany the X, B and 1-1/1000sec settings.</p><div>00XHsa-280849584.jpg.9826cb0a82b78bbb503fa1aa874ad1fe.jpg</div>

<p>In use, the 7 is a large camera to hold and not especially lightweight. It feels wonderful in the hands with confidence inspiring heft. The build quality is excellent. The finder is bright as are the projected lines. The film advance lever is short but attractively thick and wins high praise from my eye and my thumb. This is a true classic manual camera and no batteries are found within. The Selenium meter on my primo example is spot on accurate. </p><div>00XHsb-280851584.jpg.ae475f52b1f766fc64ff697fea92192a.jpg</div>

<p>The Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens is one of the best, at this speed, from any maker in the early 1960’s. My example is sparkling clean with not so much as a dust speck within its metal-barreled confines. It seems to me a sin to me to keep this marvelous instrument and luminous optic stored in dark safe so out I go to shoot.</p><div>00XHse-280853584.jpg.06f04c4fdc3c28d51ad329a7fae7aafc.jpg</div>

<p>Ah yes, that's the kind of rangefinder that gives SLR's a run for their money. That's one beautiful outfit, Louis, and the photographs do it justice. I particularly like the selective focus in "Mailbox", and the chair and stove is a classic composition, lit in the style of the Dutch Masters.... It's interesting how consistent Canon's design concept was in those early days, with this beauty showing the origins of the later rangefinders and SLR's. Thanks for the usual superb post.</p>

<p>Louis,</p>

<p>Wonderful post and pictures. However you just caused me an expensive outlay.</p>

<p>My Canon 7 has been sitting idle for the last 9 months. I was fiddling with the self-timer and it got stuck. I tried everything I could think of but no go.</p>

<p>Inspired by your post, I took it off the shelf and once again tried to unstick the self-timer. Well after about a minute it started turning. The shutter clicked and now everything is back in order.</p>

<p>Now I have no excuse to put off buying that Canon 50mm F/1.4 I have always craved.</p>

<p>So thanks Louis. No, I really mean it. Thanks. It is nice to have my Canon 7 back in working order. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Louis, loved the post. Thank you for taking the time to share with us. I particularly like the antique ford, and the curves in the violin row. Super kit.</p>

<p>I looking at the top plate of the rangefinder i find strikiking similarities between this and the my Canonflex SLR. Again, thanks for sharing.</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback, guys.<br /> <strong>Rick</strong>, would you believe this camera is actually larger than a Canon F-1!</p>

<p><strong>Maciek</strong>, I had desks just like that in grade school myself but they were old even then.</p>

<p><strong>JDM</strong>, That rangefinder lust is hard to shake. Like Mike says, the Canons are the best deal now in a high end, interchangeable lens camera.</p>

<p><strong>Jeremy</strong>, I appreciate your friendly envy.</p>

<p><strong>Yann</strong>, I hear you about that Canon lens hood. Hard to find and expensive when you do.</p>

<p><strong>Steve</strong>, glad you enjoyed the pics.</p>

<p><strong>Marc</strong>, Glad you got your 7 up and running. That 50mm f/1.4 will dent the wallet I'm afraid.</p>

<p><strong>Ralf</strong>, I just got a mint Canonflex RM, I'll have to compare and contrast the two. It is my understanding that the Super-Canomatic R lenses are the same optics as the late model rangefinder lenses in different mounts.</p>

<p><strong>Mike</strong>, I've heard good things about the 50mm f/1.8 lens. Much cheaper too.</p>

<p><strong>Les</strong>, evil is as evil does. I've drooled too many times over <em>your</em> extensive SLR collection. Consider it payback.</p>

<p><strong>John,</strong> yeah cool place that shop. They also have cellos and double basses too. I think there is a full picture story to be found there.</p>

<p><strong>Jack</strong>, yes that 7 is super clean. These cameras have thin stainless steel shutter curtains that are commonly crinkled, though it has no significant effect on the operation. Mine however is pristine. Note the interesting double door lock that has both a bottom key lock and a side sliding lock.</p><div>00XIN9-281197584.jpg.4d5536c6abde916eebe02795f31253d6.jpg</div>