Canon 6D - Full-frame body, $2100 at launch

leopoldstotch

<p>The full-frame 6D will be officially announced at around 12am EST (1 hour from now), but DPReview has already released the spec page, with a launch price of $2099 USD*. It's positioned below the 5D III, but more or less cut from the same cloth as the 5D II.<br /> Highlights:</p>

<ul>

<li>20mp sensor</li>

<li>Digic 5+ processor</li>

<li>4.5fps</li>

<li>11-point AF system</li>

<li>Built-in Wifi and GPS</li>

<li>Uses SD cards</li>

<li>Weather sealed</li>

<li>ISO range of 100-25600 (expandable to 102, 400)</li>

<li>Fixed LCD (no swivel)</li>

<li>±5 EV exposure comp</li>

<li>Mono microphone</li>

<li>No built-in flash</li>

</ul>

<p>Info:<br /> <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eos6d">http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eos6d</a><br /> <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos6d&products=canon_eos5dmkiii&products=canon_eos5dmkii">Side-by-side comparison with 5D II&III</a></p>

<p>Commence inevitable comparison with the 5D Mark II and D600.<br /> *based on Adorama's 'oops' moment from earlier today</p>

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Well I was really looking forward to a lower cost FF camera from Canon, but I've got to say this looks like a real yawn. Still no built in flash, price about the same as the 5DII, going backwards on resolution....<br>

I am pretty envious of Nikon users at the moment.</p>

<p>There's a lot of chatter about a 6D on the "internets", but it puzzles me. Nothing so far has made me sorry that I bought a new 5Dmkii last March. If this were April, I'd know how to interpret what I read.<br>

In fact, it doesn't really sound too different from the 5D mkii, does it? Sounds more to me like they decided they didn't want two different 5Ds on the market at the same time.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>For on-location shooters, landscape photographers or enthusiast photo travelers, the EOS 6D features a built-in GPS receiver to record longitude, latitude, elevation and Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) as EXIF data for seamless geo-tagging while shooting.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nice to have I suppose, but since when did GPS become more useful to photographers than a built in flash?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nice to have I suppose, but since when did GPS become more useful to photographers than a built in flash?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I find using a (Garmin) GPS a bit of a hassle, GPS unit and camera have to be synced to the minute (second?). An external flash adds versatility and flash power and is easy to use. Given this I can live without an internal flash.<br>

And: Canon sells flashes, no GPS units. It's probably more profitable to make a body with GPS and without a flash than the other way around.</p>

<p>No multi-direction stick on the back. This thing is clearly intended to be a step up from the 60D. I think Canon is splitting their line into consumer and Pro lines with 7D, 5D, and up being Pro and everything else being consumer. There is no way they were aiming this turd at professionals.</p>

<p>I'm sure it has it's role. I'd expect (given the posted ISO range) that it's high ISO noise is quite well controlled. Certainly no clear point in buying this if you've already got a 5D2 or 5D3 (except as an emergency backup), but if you are shooting w/ a 60D/7D and feel ready for the step up to FF, but have a budget... it <em>might</em> make sense.</p>

<p>And of course, not only did they take a step backwards in resolution, but also w/ SD cards as their memory card choice. Obviously it's a slower camera, but given the target market I'm quite surprised it doesn't have a popup flash.</p>

<p>The only thing I have used the Popup flash for successfully is to trigger slave flashes I have placed around the studio. My 320EX however, works a lot better doing that. I have switched to continuous lighting so I'm not into the flash business in the studio anymore. Still use the 320EX for out about on my flash bracket.</p>

<p>I must confess I'm extremely disappointed. I struggle to find even a single thing in this camera that I like. For me it's the exact opposite of the 5D3, which I love. Yikes.</p>

<p>Also, with 18MP, 20MP, 21MP and 22MP FF sensors currently selling I'm positive Canon's next FF will have 19MP. <br>

:-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why such a desire for a builtin flash?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's very useful as fill-flash in daylight and can master the tiny 270EX II. Night time? I made a DIY diffuser from an old semi-transparent film cartridge. Works great. BTW, the master capability of the built-in flash was one of the reasons I upgraded from my beloved 40D to the 7D and today, 2 years after, I am very happy with it.<br>

<br /><br />Happy shooting,<br />Yakim.</p>

Gotta love equipment forums. For years, people have been clamoring for a full-frame camera under $2000 (which is where the 6D will probably be priced in a few months). Now, it's essentially here, with specs that far exceed what the vast majority of photographers will ever need, and it's called a mediocre turd. Priceless . . .

<p>[[And why do Canon waste money and production line time on yet another sensor with less resolution than the 5D mark II and III?]]</p>

<p>Maybe Canon is using 5D Mark III sensors that didn't meet QC for 22MP? ;)</p>

<p>The only thing that really disappoints me about this camera is the price. This is not a $2100 camera. </p>

<p>I questioned the lack of a built in flash - but if the ISO range runs (reputedly) up to 25,600 - *6* stops more than 400 (or ISO 102,400 for the desperate), perhaps a flash is unnecessary? The camera supports automatic HDR so, again, fill flash might also not be an issue. It will apparently be controllable from an Android app as well.<br>

I am in the (possibly unique) position of looking to upgrade my trusty 10D and need to put an order in to Santa for a 7D for Xmas ... or for a 6D at twice-ish the price. The high ISO range is probably the most attractive thing about this camera for me. Full frame = -1 for macro work +1 for most other things.</p>