Canon 5dII weathersealing

robert_clark

<p>A lot of DPR forum posters seem to be claiming the the Nikon D700 has high level weathersealing and that the new canon 5DII has none.<br>

Well, here is an interesting claim from the Canon white paper on the camera:</p>

<p>http://www.usa.canon.com/uploadedimages/FCK/Image/White%20Papers/EOS%2050D%20and%205D%20Mark%20II%20WP.pdf</p>

<p>Quote: "Internal gaskets and sealing materials are used extensively at the cameras’ buttons, tripod sockets, and surrounding the LCDs. As a result, the EOS 5D Mark II now has dust and water resistance that is almost equal to that of the EOS-1N—Canon’s top-of-the-line professional 35mm SLR for most of the 1990’s."</p>

<p>If true, it sounds like an unequivocqal claim, and pretty good.</p>

<p>(PS. How do I turn the above address into a 'Link' button?)</p>

<p><a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/uploadedimages/FCK/Image/White%20Papers/EOS%2050D%20and%205D%20Mark%20II%20WP.pdf">http://www.usa.canon.com/uploadedimages/FCK/Image/White%20Papers/EOS%2050D%20and%205D%20Mark%20II%20WP.pdf</a><br />Links need a leading space before the first character of the link. I don't know why this is, but it is true for most blog/forum sites.</p>

<p>It is true the 5D MKII does have pretty good weather sealing built in and probably better than any other prosumer cameras to date. It isn't on par with their 1Ds or 1D lines, but look how much less the cameras are. Weather or not it is as good as D700, not sure, but I'm sure that it is very close if not as good. I wouldn't put much into what you read on other posts, probably most of those comments come from the Nikon vs Canon debates you see all the time and are from mostly Nikon users. Unless you are hard core journalist and shooting in some really harsh conditions, the weather sealing on any of Canons prosumer cameras is more than adequate and shouldn't need to worry about.</p>

<p>I'm sure the 5DII is better than a digital rebel (and probably better than a 5D, which is probably better than a digital rebel...) with regards to weather sealing, but I don't think it was until the 1V (or maybe the 3) which really stepped up the weather sealing to the level of where it is now. I'm not sure the 1N had significant amounts of weather sealing...<br>

Not that it is bad. I'm sure for 99.8% of users, it's still overkill :D</p>

<p>I have mixed feelings about this whole issue. On the one hand, I've never had a camera fail due to weather. On the other, I know for sure that I'd love to shoot more in pouring rain. In any case I think it makes a lot of sense to protect a $2700 electronic device <em>meant for outdoor use</em> from water <em>since it can be done without much ado</em>. Look at Olympus. If they can, then Canon can.</p>

<p>"What are the benefits of shooting in the rain?" Well, to get interesting pictures. I am not much of sunshine photographer and I've always found it bizarre, if that's the word, having to put away or protect the camera once it starts raining. But that's just me, perhaps, although I think there's a reason why some cameras and lenses are in fact sealed.</p>

<p>I also think some really great street photography can be made in the rain and in foul weather - not to mention wild, wet and windy weather in the mountains or at sea for great landscapes.</p>

<p>I was recently trekking in Nepal at the end of the rainy season, when the weather had forgotten to stop being bad. I practically wore my old Pentax LX all day, every day, and kept my Leica in my bag. Needless to say the LX - which salesmen used to demonstrate by putting a special body seal on it and then putting it nto a toilet and flushing it - never had a single problem. I have some incredibly atmospheric photos of locals trudging through the rain or trying to shelter from it. Not to have to worry too much about the camera is a real blessing.</p>

<p>If you are going to shoot in the rain you still need to protect the camera to some degree even if it is waterproof... unless you like big blurry spots from drops on the lens.</p>

<p>In most cases it isn't about taking a DSLR "out in the rain unprotected." It is more about the fact that even when you work carefully and with protection in inclement weather your gear is going to get damp.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Rob,<br>

Having the Nikon D300 and 5D MKII at hand, I don't think there is that much difference in terms of "moisture sealing" for what matter neither manufacturer provides any warranty against water damage, nor do they mention any ISO number to quantify this "water Resistance", so it is not possible to compare.<br>

I think what people refer to is the general build quality of this cameras, the D300/D700 are made from thicker magnesium shell and the texture is more rugged, also they have thick rubber coating which on the whole makes the camera to "feel" more solid and sturdier...5DII is in fact very similar to 40D in terms of construction and material but I don't think in real world this makes any difference...although "feeling" of a camera is a personal refence. </p>