Hello:

I'm having a bit of a problem here...just shot an expensive wedding with lots

of great photos. I used both Canon 5D and 20D and switched the CF cards between

the cameras in the middle of the wedding to adjust for space limitations

(camera's we're shut down to make the switch). 90% of the files shot with the

5D cannot be opened by Lightroom or Photoshop Bridge and appear corrupted. All

files from 20D are okay. I used 2 different CF cards - Lexar 8GB Pro 300x and

Sandisk Extreme 8GB IV. The problem appears to be with the Camera as far as I

understand it since all 20D files are okay on both cards.

Does anyone have suggestions? I'm going to call Canon in the morning but maybe

someone has a better idea how to deal with these files. All the info seems to

be there just can not be opened.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

I'd see if you can open the files from Canon's software. Are the files viewable on the camera? If so, hook up your camera to your computer and try to retrieve the files that way.

In the future, format a card and use it only in that camera. You open yourself to too many potential problems swapping cards back and forth. If it's an expensive wedding, there's no excuse not to have plenty of spare cards available.

Eric

The outcome is the same wheather on the card on on the computer...and the files are corrupted when veiwed in the camera or in Canon software. I will try the recovery software...any other ideas? Also, in a 2nd look only about 50% of the files from the 5D come out corrupted and its spread in a random order througout the event.

No, I too think that an image recovery program will not work in this case. I can only assume that moving the card from camera to camera must have overwritten some of your images. It may be that the 5D and 20D have different set ups and don't recognise each other. On the other hand the card itself may be damaged.

I had a CF card that 'lost' all my images but I was able to 'recover' them with an image recovery program. However there was damage (or a flaw) on the card that screwed up some of my images every time I used it. I threw the card away. I am sorry that none of this helps your case although some of my screwed up images I was able to painstakingly restore in PhotoShop. These too were wedding photos.

If you shot in RAW mode, you could try a software called "RAW Developer". Just google it, I

think the company that does it is called Irident.

Thing is: Photoshop & Lightroom are extremely fuzzy when it comes to corrupted RAW

files. I had a complete shoot that wouldn't open in Adobe's software but went OK with

RAW Developer.

Same for JPG ? though this is an assumption from my side: Try anything else but

photoshop... i.e. Graphic Converter in a Mac.

I once had a similar problem... it turned out to be the "CARD READER" if you can believe

that.

Sorry to hear about your problem...

In the future, I would suggest using 1 to 2 gig cards and keeping them dedicated to each

camera....

"Never leave all your eggs in one basket... or in this case two." ;)

I usually leave my eggs in about 15 baskets. HEHE