Canon 5D vs Canon Rebel XT

albanomagic

I am considering to upgrade my XT for the 5D but find only minor differences

between the two other than $2,000.00 more for the 5D.

I am considering to upgrade for the following reasons:

1) 1:1 ratio on the 5D rather than 1.6x to the Rebel. I like shooting wide

angles.

2) 50 and 3200 ISO extra in the 5D. Have slave lighting including the 580

3) 12.8 meg for 5D instead of 8. I do produce large prints

4) More frames per burst

5) 5D is a larger body for my big hands to feel comfortable

Are there any other items I've missed to determine which camera is better?

how much weightier is the 5D than the 30D (which I currently own). I do a bit of shooting for a rugby team, and while there is a crop factor on the 30D (1.6 I believe), I believe there is none on the 5D. The zoom then would stay at 400mm with my 100-400 IS USM lens? Somehow, the idea of keeping it at 640 (with the crop factor on the 30D)seems tempting - any advantages as to switching to a 5D?

sheryl

No real difference in size between the 5D and the 30D. The 5D is slightly heaver if I recall but it is such a small difference you cant tell it by holding one then the other.

The larger screen and dial wheel on the 5D as opposed to the XT may be an even bigger deal to some than the extra MP's. Those two things are awesome advantages on their own.

Minor differences ? I'd be hard pressed to find the XT equal too or better than the 5D in any catagory you'd care to name other than price. I won't even bother to list the differences, they're too numerous to mention.

The 30D would give you a narrower field of view, effectively making your tele-lenses appear longer, if you do a lot long distance shooting.Good luck.

If money is not a problem is a great body and given the same picture there is less noise and for large prints it is a lot better than the rebel XT. The 5D is solid built not like the plastic feel of the XT.

Most important it is FF. Go to your nearest camera shop and pick one up and hold it. The difference will be obvious, Bill

One look through the massive and bright 5D viewfinder and you'll find it hard to go back to

the peephole of an XT or 30D. But, yeah, Ric, I think you nailed most of the other reasons.

Oh, ultra low noise is also one of the 5D's milestones.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

This is not a Hyndai vs Lamborgini (gads: I can't spell!) choice.

It is basically a comparison of a low end Chevy with a high end Chevy (and not a corvette). Build quality is similar. Parts are similar. You get a bigger body and a bigger sensor on the 5D. And you pay for it.

If you need a bigger body, but not a bigger sensor: Buy a 30D.

If you need a bigger body AND a bigger sensors. . .buy the 5D.

>>but find only minor differences between the two<<

WTF? You listed some pretty major ones, neglecting better AF, build, controls.

Just curious, when you look at a Lexus and Yugo, do you find only minor differences in them, engine, body, paint ;)

There are hue differences in the XT and 30D and Huge differences in the 30D and 5D.

Mark

I am with Jim. The difference in image quality is minor except at high ISOs and greater than 13x19 print size. Even at this level the differences are likely to be only noticed by photo geeks, who try and guess the camera, than the average member of the public, who probably only cares whether the photo has an interesting composition and is pleasing to look at.

The 5D has a size and viewfinder comparable to a 30 year old $40 Pentax K1000 (without the split prism) and has a build that feels nicer to hold than the plastic rebel but will break just as easily when it is dropped. It also has the extra wheel of a $200 Elan and a slightly better AF.

So basically we are talking a K1000 viewfinder and build, with a $200 elan control wheel, and slightly better than XT image quality.

Whether these are a big deal or not to you is a matter of personal preference, not a matter of fact, and can't be decided in an internet forum.

<p><i>Not necessarily. What about the 10-22 and Sigma 10-20?</i></p>Well, the Canon has a variable maximum aperture of f/3.5 to f/4.5, whereas the Sigma has a variable maximum aperture of f/4.0 to f/5.6. Furthermore, both of those zooms are in the $500+ pricerange. For $100+ less, I'd rather use the Sigma 20mm f/1.8, because it's a little over three stops faster. Having a wide lens is certainly nice, but not if it's maximum aperture is too small for your lighting conditions. Having said that, personally, I'd probably choose the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM. I think it offers the best combination of versatility and quality, even though it would be nice for it to be a stop faster.

Well, the 5D shoots almost full frame, now many consider that a plus point over using a cropped sensor. further it gives you over 12MP of data , cleaner images, better build quality, direct control, relaiblility....and it looks better too.

good things cost good money, and for that money...nth is better in canon lineup. For full frame, this is the best deal anywhere.(yes you forgot cleanest image of all canon cameras..yes,...1dsMkII included).

Ujwal( www.ujwal.com.np)

I have become a steadfast convert to how truly amazing the images from the 5D are. I shot some photos of Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak last week, and with some knowledge of the terrain, I was able to track down an A-frame shelter that is along Barr Trail at timberline. If the photo doesn't load with this post, I've posted a page with a few examples of the 5D resolution here: http://www.toddcaudle.com/a_frame.htm

In short, the 5D is far and away better than the XT (I had an XT before the 5D), and worth the extra dollars. But I also agree that Canon probably isn't too far from coming out with either an improved 5D (with the 30D's sensor-cleaning capability, perhaps?), or another camera altogether. When they do, you can either get the new model, or watch the price of used 5Ds drop and pick one up for less than their current cost.