Canon 5D shutter Problems

clark_roberts

Just to clarify, do you mean 1/5000 sec 1/6400 sec and 1/8000 sec can't be selected or when selected and when pressing the shutter button, nothing happens? And you are not talking about ISO . Does this happen in all modes, manual, shutter priority, aperture priority...

I don't have the original 5D but I have read of a similar complaint not just on the 5D but also other models.

Things to possibly check, is the lock button on.

Do you have a menu setting selected causing this or accidently . Max/Min setting for shutter speed or ISO.

You could go into the menu and reset the camera, erasing any custom settings.

Remove battery and wait 30 seconds.

I once had a memory card go bad and it caused my 6D to lock up. You could try a spare card.

Is the battery good and fully charged and this still happens.

I would think if the shutter is going or went it would not work at any setting. I have owned 5 different Canon ESO models but never experienced a shutter fail. So I can't say if there are pre failure symptoms.

I do recall hearing the original 5D had a recall on mirrors coming loose. There have been people fix that themselves. Saw it on YouTube.

Good luck.

Edited by Mark Keefer
Cheers, Mark

Hi mark,

Yes it's the shutter speeds the three top shutter speeds 1/5000 sec, 1/6400 sec and 1/8000 sec. when I select them either in manual,

aperture or shutter priority modes and I take a picture the image is black, so when I lower the shutter speed down to 1/4000 sec the picture

could be taken. I'll go thru the camera and settings and see what you recommended to see if it works.

Edited by clark_roberts

Have you tried locking up the mirror and observing (down the throat) the action of the shutter when those speeds are selected?

It's possible a mirror fault could be causing the same symptom (by virtue of it being slightly out of sync), but it's likely that the shutter is just dying...

Edited by Marcus Ian

If it is clicking, trying to take the picture and you get black, maybe the curtain is out of sync with the sensor or other anomalies. Also to clarify, this has nothing to do with using flash and high-speed sync, correct?. It may be a shutter issue. Maybe someone else here has more experience with this issue. Curious, does it work in Live View mode?
  • Like 1
Cheers, Mark

Camera value $300 (going rate for replacement beaters on ebay)? Repair work $180 spare part cost not known yet.

Please pardon my ignorance, but I neither know what your 5D is supposed to do nor how shutter decay will progress. - Right now I think yours does everything up to 1/4000sec, so I'd shoot it at 1/2000 and below and observe if things will get worse.

I'd probably buy a 5D to shoot products and stuff in a studio or as a 2nd body in broad daylight but wouldn't be eager to try wide open portraiture with it. Thats why I see little need for fastest shutter speeds.

If you are hooked by it for some CCD-magic as main reason and get along with your 85/1.2 pretty well, things are different. If I had $300, standing in your shoes, I'd prolly buy another body and color code the current one to make sure I'll use it for things it is still doing.

• Like 1

I agree with what you say, for now that's what I would do 1/2000 of a sec maybe a little above that. I was thinking of replacing the

shutter myself but it a lot of taking the camera apart. I just fixed a 24mm f/1.4 L lens, it needed a new motor and I put that in and this

lens turns out to be one of the best lenses I have, stunning.

I think I would not worry about it, and not use those shutter speeds.

You needs to be a little careful in P mode, not to set a high ISO value, and force the high speed.

As far as I know, I have never needed them with any of my cameras, and might not even know that they work.

-- glen

OOOOoooohhhh a recent purchase form flea bay....SEND IT BACK!

When shopping for digital cameras, ask how many shutter actuation s it has. there is a counter built into the cameras and with some menu selection it will give you that information.

Some cameras need some sort of software to access that info.

Each manufaturer has a spec on the expected life of the shutter... contact them to find out what the specs are.

Edited by paul ron
The more you say, the less people listen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

try finding its shutter actuation count? that may be in tye system menues or on canon site, there may be instructions how to find it.

the shutters are rated for shutter actuations... like car mileage, they reach an end of life... its expected to die. replacement shutters can cost a few hundred bucks.

The more you say, the less people listen.