Canon 5D MK IV

tom_mccabe

Good morning. I'm considering a MK IV but would like to know how this camera deals with noise from long exposures and high ISOs. I enjoy shooting at night but both my MK II and my 6D tend to be noisy. I'm wondering if the MK IV is any better.

Thanks!

Tom McCabe

New Bern, NC

I just purchased a 5D MK IV as an upgrade to my 5D MK II and am now starting to use it and learn it's features. I was initially considering a 6D II, but the reviews were not nearly as favorable as for the 5D MK IV. I too like to pursue night photography, and specifically nightscapes with star field backgrounds. My MK IV should do significantly better than my MK II for controlling noise according to the review in DPreview at: Striding Forth: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Review . One technique that I use for reducing noise in nightscapes is to composite multiple short exposures using StarryLandscapeStacker software. The software accounts for movement due to the earth's rotation. For more-or-less stationary subjects, The 5D IV has a feature that automatically combines four images to reduce noise. A great source of information about taking nightscapes and noise reduction techniques is by Roger Clark at: Nightscape Photography with Digital Cameras, Clarkvision.com.

• 6 months later...
I have both and both are good but the 5DIV is obviously much much better. I shoot at night with the 50 1.8, 28 1.2, 17-40 F4L using live-view and the RAW files are supper clean. You can also clean up the noise even more in light-room with a plugin but it is really not necessary at all. I rented a Zeiss 50 and it also worked out beautifully.
  • Like 1

The 5D MK IV is a big improvement over 6D and 5D MK II and III.

This is not really a long exposure but was low light high ISO - Handheld - no IS - 12800 ISO - 85mm lens - F/3.5 - 1/400 sec

RAW and ran through DPP image resized to 2000 pixels. Click on to view larger

1955276580_ZIMGL7622BucksCountyTheater.thumb.JPG.4acaffc11614923744dd1205719023b7.JPG

• Like 1
Cheers, Mark

I don't know the older Canons. - Lensrentals' Roger blogged Leica Monochrom would be on par with 5D II in low light, so I bought one.

As long as your mind is set to your sane almost 20MP FF body 5D IV low light frames will blow you away, especially when we bin the extra mega pixels to not see the noise that will be somewhere.

OTOH: There is never enough light and there are no magic bullets. I'll shoot the Mono at ISO 5K, get noise and dislike that fact. - The 5D IV at it's unexpanded ISO 12800 files look better. But that s just 1.5 f-stops. - While I'll gain the advantage of IS by switching to Canon you probably already have it? What will happen when you'll get used to your additional Megapixels and would like to show them too?