Canon 5D Mark2..which lens do i get?

carrie_smith6

<p>ooops sorry i meant to post this link <br>

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EW9Y4M/ref=s9_simi_gw_p23_t2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1SCAHXVK52YYAYPJH1PV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846<br>

and this<br>

http://www.camerakings.com/products/LensesFlashes/Lenses/10149209/Telephoto_EF_85mm_f12L_II_USM_Autofocus_Lens/<br>

which one would be best? i know one says telephoto but would it really make a difference? or should the 50mm one be the better choice?</p>

<p>As Rob says these are different lenses, basically the 85mm will make things look a little closer than the 50mm and would be considered a better portrait lens. Both of these lenses are at the Pro or high end amateur end of the scale, which lenses do you have already? If you have none then maybe a good carry round zoom like the 24-105L would be a better first buy. If you have no problem with budget these are both excellent lenses but there are are almost equally good versions in the 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 to be had that will save you a heap of cash for other purchases. Maybe you could go to a good dealer and try a few lenses out, much better to handle before you buy.</p>

<p>thanks or all the info. i am joining my friend who owns a photography business, she does portraits, weddings, bands, parties, etc... and would like a good set up, my budget to start would be around 5k. ive been eyeing that canon 1.2 lens for awhile now and would love to add that to a great canon camera and was thinking of the Mark II.<br>

Thanks for informing me about cameraking, i was going to buy some items from them but not anymore!<br>

any opinions on a canon setup for about 5-6k?</p>

<p>The 85L lens works great on full frame. I have that combination and results are fantastic. If you are starting into wedding work that lens and body will perform fine. I would then suggest the 35 1.4L lens to go with the 85 - great combo if you're going with primes. As to the 50 1.2L lens (if that's under consideration) - I would not get it. All of my lenses are L series except one - the 50 1.4. To my eye (when I compared the two) it's just as good as the 50L (though not as well built).</p>

<p>Carrie, the obvious question towering in the background here is, "Why are you getting a 5D2 when you aren't even sure what lenses you want?"</p>

<p>I ask this because all too often buyers are told or decide that "camera X" is the "best" camera and they think they need it, when in reality the decisions don't work that way at all.</p>

<p>If we can help you make smarter basic decisions, don't hesitate to get into this topic.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<blockquote>

<p>i am joining my friend who owns a photography business, she does portraits, weddings, bands, parties, etc...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>An 85mnm lens is good for protraits but might not be of much use for bands and parties. For those uses I would want a lens that would offer maximum flexability for the money. The 24-70mm would be an excelent choice. And then maybe add a 85 F1.8 specifically for portraits. However you are going to be doing a lot of photography indoors. So on top of your list should be a good flash shuch as the 580EX. The 5D does not have a built in flash. </p>

<p> However I would strongly suggest you talk to your friend about this.l Your friend would have direct experience with this and should have some very good recommendations on lenses and flashes based on his experience with the business.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>make sure you buy from someone reputable like Amazon, Adorama, or B&H. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is probably the best advise you have recieved.</p>

<p ><strong ><em >“i am joining my friend who owns a photography business, she does portraits, weddings, bands, parties, etc... and would like a good set up, my budget to start would be around 5k. . . . any opinions on a canon setup for about 5-6k?”</em></strong></p>

<p ></p>

<p > </p>

<p >With your extremely limited budget I would NOT be blowing $2,000 on ONE lens: 40% of you total budget one one lens is NOT good thinking IMO.</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p >As you have been “eying” that L lens this implies you are not scared to spend money to get good quality, but to make a good business decision you need to leverage your capital outlay such that you get the best value for money and base your purchases upon expected USAGE and whilst still maintaining total SYSTEM REDUNDANCY because (at a Wedding for example) you do NOT get a second go at the Bride walking down the Aisle if your first camera fails. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >There are many threads in the Wedding and Social Events Forums addressing your question. There are papers written by Josh Root (Basic wedding equipment), Jeff Spirer (Shooting Live Bands) Marc Williams (Master Lesson – selection of Wedding Kit)</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I leverage my lens selection and also the lenses I carry at any one time by using a dual format kit, and I have made many comments particularly on this topic – one recent one is this: <a href="http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00Vden">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00Vden</a></p>

<p > </p>

<p >In the thread above I explain the steps of logic which define how to build a kit. Also contained in it there is another thread which cites another specific example</p>

<p > </p>

<p >***</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Specific to your question, I suggest you consider a Basic General Kit something like this, which is a very good value for money, high quality, yet bare bones and economical, Events and Wedding Kit, as at Feb 2010: </p>

<p > </p>

<p ><strong >Cameras: 50D+ 5D</strong></p>

<p ><strong > </strong></p>

<p ><strong >Lenses: 24LMkII; 50F/1.4; 135L; 16 to 35MkII; x1.4 Tele-extender</strong></p>

<p ><strong >Light: 2 x 580EX MkII</strong></p>

<p >I have no idea of the cost, but that’s about bare bones – in the beginning stages (For a concert gig for example) of you need longer than the equivalent FoV of the 50D + x1.4 tele extender + 135,then I suggest renting. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >N.B. The kit described above has: <strong ><em >limited back up and minimal System Redundancy</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >Remember you need money set aside for: tripod, monopod, (heads for same), memory cards, light manipulators (you can make them), bags . . . etc </p>

<p > <br>

WW</p>

<p>Carrie, The lens I use most on my 5D II is the 24-105mm L zoom. Sharp, not too big and great versatility. If I want a fixed length prime for portraits I favor my 100mm 2.0 over my 85mm 1.8 but both of them are excellent. The other lens I like in that length for portraits is the 70-200mm 4.0 IS. The 2.8 IS lens is also fantastic for portraits but too heavy for me to be comfortable with. I notice that even Art Wolfe seems to be traveling with the 4.0 IS 70-200mm currently. The most useful lens for a full frame camera that you would use a big percentage of the time is a mid-range zoom 24 or 28mm to 70, 75 or 105mm. Canon and Tamron both make very high IQ lenses in this range. Good luck!</p>

<p>If your setting up the whole system, may I suggest 5Dmk2, 24-70 F2.8L, Grip with extra battery, 580 flash, flash battery pack, 70-3-200 f4L, 85mm 1.8USM. This would run about 5k-6k At B&H. When I went over to Canon this is the kit I put together. Covers 90% of my imaging needs and challenges. Performs like no other in this price range.<br>

30 years fine art & event photography.</p>

<p>As someone has suggested, go with 85mm1.2 and 35mm 1.4 on your 5D II. I use these two lenses on my 7D, and they are fantastic for indoor events/weddings. BTW, 85mm 1.2 is NOT that slow as it is made out to be. I have used it for fast moving subjects and it has never failed me. If you have these two lenses, you don't need 50mm.</p>

Carrie, with respect, it would seem to me your money would be better spent, initially at least, on learning resources. Perhaps a short course, seminar etc. From this post and the others in your posting history I get the impression that you are just starting out in photography. That's all good, but planning to blow 5 grand on equipment when you don't seem to know the basic ins and outs of focal length and aperture is at best, an unwise move. You'd likely be setting yourself up for a pretty steep learning curve. Add to that the pressure of looking to get <i>paid</i> to take photos of and for clients and you're likely to be setting yourself for spectacular failure. Reputations, good <i>and</i> bad, spread fast in this industry.