Canon 5D Mark 2 microphone suggestions

tdigi

<p>"pretty"? Not sure what you mean.</p>

<p>If you want MONO look at the Sennheiser MKE 400. </p>

<p>For a good STEREO microphone look at Rode Stereo VideoMic (sort of big). </p>

<p align="left">Others that are small and unassuming are the Audio-Technica Pro-24CM and Azden ECZ-990. </p>

<p align="left"> </p>

<p align="left"><strong>It all depends on what you need.<br /> </strong> </p>

<p>OMG- Audio recording is very difficult! Which is to say that while the built in microphone won't win any awards, getting better isn't going to be as easy as just getting a different microphone. Another cheap microphone is going to be just that, another cheap microphone. The camera uses a 3.5mm input and any "good" external microphone will be XLR. There are some products that will allow you to connect XLR mic and then use a 3.5 connection to the camera. Beachtek is a popular unit but I would check with them on a recommendation for the Mark II. Choosing a microphone depends on what you want to record. No matter what it is you are trying to record, the closer you are to the source of the sound, the better the recording will be. In many regards, a $300 cardioid will do better than a $1000+ shotgun if the microphone is simply mounted at/near the camera and the source of the sound is 50' away. Conversely, a $1000+ shotgun, properly placed at the source of the sound will be better than a cardioid 50' away- by a long shot! Another "link" in the audio chain is the quality of the pre-amps being used. Camcorders really don't use very good pre-amps. I can't image you are getting anything notable in the Mark II. If this is for some sort of professional use, I would recommend by-passing the cameras audio altogether. Look into a decent stand alone recording device (something like a Roland R-4) and use the microphone type that is needed, then sync in post- just like Hollywood!</p>

<p>Mike - here are the KEY words from the OP >>I just want something decent to improve over the built in.<<</p>

<p>No need to overdo it! Any of the ones I mentioned are MORE than "decent" and a DEFINITE improvement over the built-in...and some are 'pretty' too ;p</p>

<p>Tommy,<br>

JC...Just Curious...What are you using the mic for? My only thought from the mic on my 1ds mrk ll is to label the file (which i never have)--kind of like the gps thinga ma jig--which I also never have. I use sennheiser in video but have never considered sound for any of my pics...benqui</p>

<p>Thanks for the suggestions. I just want to avoid the camera sounds and possibly improve the quality a bit. I mostly will use it for some interviews and some small concerts or really just general use when I want to get higher quality.. I understand it will take more to get high end sound. I just want to improve it, I am finding the video on the 5D2 much more useful then I originally thought.</p>

<p>That rode vide mic looks very good. Is this the one you are all referring to?<br>

http://www.adorama.com/AURDVM.html?searchinfo=Rode+video+mic<br>

Will this mount on the hot shoe of the 5D2?</p>

<p>Thanks again</p>

<p> </p>

<p>yes, that is it. Just keep in mind that you will need to remove it if you want to take still shots because since it is huge, the mic will sometimes show in the pics and even more with wide angle lenses. There is an offset adapter you can purchase from B&H that allows you to keep it on for stills. And did I mention it is huge</p>

<p>I would concur with Mike's comments above. Microphones are a bit like camera lenses where ones optimal selection is situation dependant. For interviews, lavalier mics are your best bet to minimize room reflections - wireless will be even better. For small concerts, I'd go for a decent M/S microphone.</p>

<p>Another point to consider is, an on-camera microphone will sound like an on-camera microphone almost independant of cost. On a dSLR, you'll also likely pickup operator noise.</p>

<p>What mike to use depends on what you want to record, but since you mention interviews, I would recommend that you look at what TV crews are using. The two most popular handheld microphones for the past 30 years have been and still are the Electrovoice 635A and the Electrovoice RE-50. Both are very rugged and have excellent quality. These are used for a siutation typically where the reporter is standing up holding the mike in the subject's face. Also used on podiums for news conferences and speeches. For sitdown interviews, a clip-on "tieclip' mike is used, and Sony is the most popular brand with several models starting at about $150. For picking up general sound, a camera-mounted "shotgun" mike is used and there are many brands. For a good rundown on microphones look at <a href="http://www.transom.org">www.transom.org</a>. It's a web site for radio reporters but has tons of microphone info. <a href="http://www.bswua.com">www.bswua.com</a> is a broadcast supply house that sells many, many mikes. To connect to a camera with a miniplug jack, you don't need the expensive adaptors, just an XLR-miniplug cable from <a href="http://www.markertek.com">www.markertek.com</a>. With all that said, I can't imagine trying to use any still camera for serious video work any more than you would use a video camera to try to shoot serious stills, but that's another story.</p>