Canon 5D II is step back in time against Canon 7D!

wm._reed_lovick

<p>I hope you are happy with your equipment, for me, using the 7D (vs the mk2) was like giving up my pro equipment to play with my 4yr old's digital Rebel... the IQ was abysmal! I immediately handed it back shaking my head and bought another 5D2 (of course that was awhile back now). <br>

The 5D3 (of course) is very nice, but I'm very much less than impressed with it's 'improvement' in IQ and sensor capability, to me it's like Canon's FF engineers took 3yrs off and then were like 'uh we need a 5D3? crap! - here, grab an AF from a 1Dx, a new Digic5+, add an SD slot, toss them in w/ a 'new' 5D2 sensor, and sell it for $1500 more! </p>

<p>There! Have fun w/ a bunch more rhetoric ;-)</p>

<p>Never had a problem with IQ on the 7D unless I was being careless. In fact, it hasn't ceased to amaze me in almost three years now. For IQ, the 5DIII is holding my attention as well. When I couple the 5D3 with my Canon 200 2.8L it's a tack sharp marriage made in Heaven. On the 7D the Canon f4. 24-105 L makes for an amazing tack sharp marriage. <br>

That's not to say that you were careless, these two cameras have just been really amazing for my need.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The 5D3 (of course) is very nice, but I'm very much less than impressed with it's 'improvement' in IQ and sensor capability, to me it's like Canon's FF engineers took 3yrs off and then were like 'uh we need a 5D3? crap! - here, grab an AF from a 1Dx, a new Digic5+, add an SD slot, toss them in w/ a 'new' 5D2 sensor, and sell it for $1500 more!<br>

There! Have fun w/ a bunch more rhetoric ;-)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>+1</p>

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

<p>I move between the 7D and MK2, EOS 1n and 7e seamlessly. The camera plays such a very small part in my picture making/creative process I hardly even notice the camera when I'm shooting. Of course there are differences, just not enough to divert my attention away from what I'm trying to photograph in any significant way. I just select the right tool for the job and get on with it. Maybe, as a Canon FD user for decades, I've evolved a way of working that doesn't rely heavily on bleeding edge technology. I don't know. Any camera I have always seems perfectly adequate to me.</p>

<p>I find the 1.6X crop cameras a bit limiting. I never liked my 24-70 on on the 1.6X camera, I guess because it acts as a 38 - 112. Once I had the FF sensor I did not look back. The 5D MK 3 has the 7Dish electronics and the FF sensor. The 5DII had the same AF as my old 20D. So I passed on it and sprung for the 5D Mk III. No regrets. They just need a firmware update to allow video to be routed to the SD card and photos to the CF card. So now the 5Dc is my backup camera and the MK III is working out well.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Got to wonder what you were doing wrong, then...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I know! I was wondering the same thing - then I found out it was the camera! I think the short answer is that once you get used to fully utilizing a FF camera, <em>any</em> crop is still just a crop. The same (I'm sure) could be said if one were to step up to MF digital...</p>

<p>Of course I was also (and still am a bit) being glib... ;-) Rhetoric: 3. Loud and confused and empty talk. "mere rhetoric" "Rhetoric" being a very (IMO) apt description of the original post.</p>

<p>The post struck me as the owner of 2005 Civic buying a 1999 Acura TL, complaining about how 'backwards and antiquated" it is (probably because of the lack of an MP3 line in, and ipod dock), so then returns the TL, and buys a NEW RL - and is like Wow! this is a great car!...</p>

<p>The 5DII will always win with the pixel peepers, bigger pixels and more of them. I like different crop factors, which effectively expands your lens collection. I shoot with 1.6 and 1.3 and have never needed anything wider than 17mm on my 1.3, not saying I wouldn't like a 5DII, just don't think I would use it as much, I do a lot of sports stuff which is not its forte. The 7D has lots of customization, I love the custom setting dial (C1-3) dial, wish the 1 series had the one. </p>

<p>The post struck me as the owner of 2005 Civic buying a 1999 Acura TL, complaining about how 'backwards and antiquated" it is (probably because of the lack of an MP3 line in, and ipod dock), so then returns the TL, and buys a NEW RL - and is like Wow! this is a great car!...<br>

<br>

Not the case at all, but if I had to make the argument, the 5DM3 is everything the 5DM2 is with the "Wow! this is a great car!...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I move between the 7D and MK2, EOS 1n and 7e seamlessly. The camera plays such a very small part in my picture making/creative process I hardly even notice the camera when I'm shooting. Of course there are differences, just not enough to divert my attention away from what I'm trying to photograph in any significant way. I just select the right tool for the job and get on with it. Maybe, as a Canon FD user for decades, I've evolved a way of working that doesn't rely heavily on bleeding edge technology. I don't know. Any camera I have always seems perfectly adequate to me.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm with Louis. I move seamlessly between my 5DII, 50D, and EOS 1V. I still shoot with my F-1's occasionally, and have even started to adapt some of my gorgeous manual focus Nikkor lenses to my 5DII.</p>

<p>Hell, it's all good. :-)</p>

<p>I'm kind of like Louis and Mark.<br>

I move between a 50D, 5DMK2, 1DMK3. Kind of because I think of them as different tools for different purposes just like a carpenter as more than one hammer depending on the job. The all have their qualities and faults. And I'm happy with it all. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Keith…. what I was doing wrong? :)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not you. Marcus.</p>

<p>Properly converted and processed, the 7D is capable of entirely <em>fantastic</em> IQ. I'm sick to the back teeth of people bagging on it because <em>they</em> can't figure it out, and based on my (almost) three years' experience of the camera, there's no question whatsoever that that's the problem - <em>user error, </em>pure and simple. </p>

<p>IMO the 7D requires higher shutter speeds than my 5D1 to get good pictures. This, I think, is because the sensor shows up camera shake more than other bodies I have had. It takes a little more post work particularly with noise reduction. I get more sports keepers than I have gotten from any other camera and I have been doing sports since 1997. It tracks and focuses exceptionally well. I just shot disabled surfing with it and a 100-400. The closeups are stunning of people having a wonderful time riding and savoring the waves. I got those pictures because of the 1.6 crop factor, 8 frames per second, AI and very sharp focusing. I will be damned if I can tell the difference between the 5D enlargements and the 7D prints after post processing raw images. The color is quite good with either camera. Admittedly the 5D is not a great sports camera but I did a lot of dark, contrasty, indoor swim meets with it because I got usable ISO 3200 prints. As I said, my success rate is better with the 7D. When I got the 7D I had to learn how to use it. I got a lot of help over on DP from a couple of guys who know how to use it. I am now in the process of selling the 5D and getting a 1.6 crop backup. I like full frame but not 3500 bucks worth particularly when it is hard to tell the difference in any large pictures hanging on my walls from two feet away from an old MF Bronica, Canon d60, xti, 5D, a remarkable NEX 5N and several 35mm film cameras, etc.</p>

I used my Canon Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3 with my 5D, 5DM2, ad 5DM3, G9, G12, G1X with zero problems,

either the jack was broken or you maybe plugged it into the microphone jack?

In terms of IQ, look at the various reviews, DXOMARK shows a score of 66 for the 7D, 79 for the 5DM2, "In general" the

noise levels on a full frame sensor are going to be higher with a cropped sensor vs a full frame sensor

In terms of features, the 7D has the advantage, but it was released 2 years after the 5DM2, so that isn't unexpected

<p>I've shot with the 5D2 and 7D side by side for 3 years now and they are more alike than different and their individual strengths compliment one another well. No huge adjustments to make in terms of operation. The biggie is the lack of a popup on the 5D2 for remote flash and casual fill. However, if I had to choose one, I'd reach for the 5D2 the larger and more vivid view finder make composing much easier than the small VF in the 7D. Of course 5D2 IQ is a couple levels up in terms of smoothness and noise control. But, yeah, I'd rather have a 5D3 and will probably buy one when the price drifts down another 5 or 6 benjamins.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter