Canon 5D and 40D - What LCD Protector?

flying_tiger

None - you don't need one. The LCD cover (part separate from the LCD screen proper) costs $15 or so from Canon and can be replaced if necessary in 5 minutes using but a small screwdriver.

none

The covers just get in the way of holding the camera to your eye. The PDA type covers make the LCD's hard to read, or develop air pockets.

I have used the 5D since it came out. The LCD is a bit scuffed, but still OK to read. You can replace the LCD cover for about $30 anyway. It is user replaceable.

I like the peace of mind of a good protector, regardless that Canon sells a replacement. All it

takes is one slip to get a nice gouge on the screen. I also prefer to have a hard scratch

resistant surface as opposed to the included Canon cover. For at what point do you finally

replace a scratched up LCD; who wants to have to view through this until which time you are

moved to have it replaced? To those who haven't gotten scratches, consider those insurance

executives who calculate risk - just give it some time. If and when I decide to sell the camera,

I won't have to mention that the LCD is scratched up, or scurry to obtain and install an

expensive Canon replacement cover.

On my 5D I fitted a heavy stick on type to the LCB screen cover - worth it for me as I often wear a zipped jacket the can rub the back of the camera and - note to Ken P - I encourage my children to use my cameras. I have just bought some cheap stick ons for my 40D too. Only pennies these days so why not fit one?

quote: "or at what point do you finally replace a scratched up LCD;"

One could just as well as "At what point to you finally replaced a scratched-up LCD Protector".

My two year old 5D has no noticeable scratches on the factory-fitted LCD covers, and I'm careful with it but don't baby it. Put me down as +1 for no cover needed.