Canon 50D Sticky Mirror - No Error Code

dan_schuleman

<p>Hello, after searching far and wide on the internet I have not been able to find someone in a similar situation. <br>

My Canon 50D mirror will stick up for 2 shots and then come down normally on the 3rd. The shutter works normally, and if I leave the mirror up in live view mode the camera will take photos normally. But if I put the camera in burst mode, for example, and hold down the shutter, it goes click-click-clack, click-click-clack, where on the clacks the mirror comes down as normal and on the clicks the mirror sticks up and blacks out the viewfinder, all the while the shutter mechanism continues to work. This all happens without the camera giving me any error. This all started happening when I dropped the camera about a foot onto the wood floor in my house. <br>

I was wondering if there was a way I could fix this myself? I have thoroughly tried to peer in and see what is happening but cannot seem to figure it out - I feel like it should be an easier fix because there are no error codes involved. Hopefully someone knows what is happening!</p>

<p>Are you sure that mirror lockup isn't set? It's hard to tell if what you're describing is exactly how MLU would sound, but it's close.</p>

<p>If it's a mechanical problem, there's really no way you're going to fix it yourself.</p>

<p>If it's a firmware/electrical issue, try removing BOTH batteries overnight.</p>

<p>I have taken both batteries out and I updated the firmware to the most recent, 1.0.9. <br>

With a lens and memory card, the camera will only take a picture in manual mode with the lens in manual as well. When in non-manual modes it meters with the mirror up and thus way over does the exposure, and it won't let me take the picture. The lens will also not auto focus while the mirror is stuck up. But if I turn it to manual and take 2 exposures, the mirror goes back down, and I can turn it to non-manual modes and the camera functions normally. I suspect that it is a mechanical issue, I will probably take it in for repair - I was just hoping that it was something relatively surface level that I could fix myself because this behavior is so odd. </p>

<p>The camera can't AF with the mirror up because the sub mirror which reflects part of the light down onto the AF sensors is synchronized with the main mirror. It also can't meter because the metering sensors which are located up in the pentaprism area are blocked, so what you report is normal for a camera with the mirror up and not in LiveView mode.</p>

<p>It just seems odd to me that you seem to have this sequence of three. If the mirror was sticking from a mechanical issue you'd expect it to do it either (a) all the time or (b) randomly, not predictably for the first two out of every three shots (or whatever the pattern is). </p>

• 2 years later...
Given the symptoms and the fact that it started when you dropped the camera, I'd bet good money that it is a mechanical problem. That would account for the fact that it is particularly bad in burst mode. I don't know what it would cost to fix something like that, but 50D bodies have been going for $220-285 on eBay.

I would agree w/ paddler4. As there is a specific correlation with dropping it, and the problem, it's likely a mechanical fault. However, as bobatkins points out, the sequence of only sticking every 3rd shot is ridiculously unlikely if it is solely a mechanical fault. Personally, given the price of a replacement vs. the cost of a professional repair, I'd probably dig in with some small screwdrivers and some picks and see what I could dig out...

Worst case would be to pull the lens off and directly observe the fault in action. If it is as simple as a misalignment of the mirror, it's something you may be able to "adjust" easily..

• 3 months later...