Canon 470 ex Ai...

hjoseph7

I might be a little late on this, but the new Canon 470EX Ai is a flash that actually thinks ? Ai stands for Artificial Intelligence or Auto intelligence not sure which one ? Anyway take a look at this video: https://www.amazon.com/Canon-1957C002-Flash-Speedlite-470EX-AI/dp/B079XDX31X/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=loXGC&pf_rd_p=21b0f1e9-721e-43b5-bb7a-5616fc4f0fe1&pf_rd_r=54ZTNAW65NBCV99T3684&pd_rd_r=b0e0061c-4eb0-489b

I don't know what you mean by "thinks". Canon explains what the flash it does:

By automatically calculating the distance from the flash to the subject along with the wall or ceiling, the Speedlite 470EX-AI determines the optimal bounce angle and swivels into position to capture the appropriate camera exposure and flash output.
Canon U.S.A., Inc. | Speedlite 470EX-AI

That looks impressive, but I don't consider that "thinking." Unfortunately, marketers use "AI" very loosely, leaving it to customers to figure out what they mean. There are often two stages. The first stage is the actual machine learning, where you give the computer lots and lots of examples, having humanly coded some as good, and the machine figures out an algorithm or model that predicts what should be done in the future. The computer learns what the underlying pattern is. The second stage doesn't involve learning; it involves applying the models or algorithms developed in the first stage. Since the first stage takes a lot of examples and a lot of computing power, I'd guess that the flash is doing the second: applying a model developed via AI by Canon engineers in a lab. That's not "thinking", but it sounds like it could be very useful.