Canon 40d water resistant

mike_roberts5

Does anyone know of a water tight housing for the 40D. I am not looking for

an underwater housing, just something to save the camera in case of a rain storm

or dropping it into a stream by accident. I fly fish and would like to bring the

camera to photograph students with their fish.

To answer your actual question, I don't think there is one that's not prohibitively expensive and heavy.

My son researched this before going kayaking in a Florida swamp with his 20D, looking for the elusive ivorybill woodpecker. He needed to have his camera out and handy at all times in case one showed up, and he didn't want the bother (and slowness) of a watertight case.

In the end, he decided that's what insurance is for.

He didn't find the bird but didn't dunk the camera, either.

I have yet to be caught in the rain with my 40D, so I can't speak of how well it is sealed. I will say though that the body seals are a mute point if the lens isn't also sealed. I wouldn't be too worried about rain as long as it isn't a torrential downpour. I have a few Grocery Store Produce bags and rubber bands stuffed into a ziplock in my bag. I will go along with the Insurance and Dry Bags for being around rivers or streams, I don't even think a completely sealed body would be able to survive being dunked in water like that.

Nothing except an underwater housing will save the camera if you drop it in the river.

You used to be able to get some relatively inexpensive underwater housings which were just like a thick plasic bag. Not desgined for deep diving. or use with long lenses. Check out "Ewa-Marine".

You could try something like an Ewamarine bag. It will keep your camera dry, but it also makes it bulky and harder to use. Any UW housing will be expensive, heavy and cumbersome to use.

I suggest getting a pelican case that fits the rig you want to photograph your students and their catch with. Then you can pull the camera out whenever you need to take a shot and put it back after the shooting. Be sure to get some silica gel in the case to suck up any moisture. A towel to dry your hands before handling the camera is also a good idea.

I have taken my 40D and even 5D with me on kayak fishing trips and never had any issue.

A couple months ago I got caught out in a heavy, driving rain storm with both my 30Ds, one fitted with 24-70 to other with a 70-200, and both with 550EX on flash brackets.

We all got soaked although I did what I could to shelter both cameras with my body. I capped the lenses. I stood with my back to the wind and cameras pointed downward.

But I couldn't open my backpack to put everything away, or even more equipment would have gotten soaked. Strong wind made any plastic bags I might have had in my pack impossible. Then the wind lifted a nearby awning that I'd tried to use for partial shelter, and dumped a shower of water that had pooled on it, directly onto me and one of the cameras.

I really thought I'd have problems with one, the other or both cameras... Or with lenses or flashes.

When I finally got to shelter (after about 15-20 min. in the rain), I carefully dried the outsides of everything, made sure everything was turned off so power wasn't flowing through it and removed the batteries from cameras and flashes, since some functions continue even when the cameras are switched off. I wanted to try to avoid anything shorting out, assuming some moisture was bound to be inside.

I still thought some or all of it would end up dead paperweights!

I *did not* take out the CF cards, as I'd read that this was the most vulnerable point on even the best-sealed Canon D-SLRs. (IIRC... Some 1D-series were damaged during one rainy Super Bowl, and nearly all the damage occurred when changing CF cards.)

Once I got home, I used more towels to dry the outside, set everything out on a counter and directed gentle, warm air from a hair dryer onto it, carefully kept to a good distance so it wouldn't drive drops of moisture further into the equipment.

Eventually I worked up confidence to open the covers and remove the CF cards, which showed no signs of moisture on them.

Even after the outsides were thoroughly dry and I could find no further signs of moisture, I let everything sit for a couple days, cameras with all doors open and the flashes raised, BG-E2 removed from the cameras, lenses stood on end and uncapped, flashes with the batt doors open, etc. I

After two days I reluctantly put batteries back in everything and powered it up, expecting to find some things dead. I really thought I'd be replacing one or two items, just hoped I'd kept my losses minimal.

Absolutely everything worked perfectly! And I've since used all the once-rain-soaked items for various jobs with no signs of any lingering, ill effects.

While I wouldn't recommend getting out in the rain with it unnecessarily, I have to say these cameras, lenses and accessories are more "weather resistant" than I expected. Your 40D might even be a little better than my 30Ds.

On the other hand, electronics only need one drop of moisture in the wrong place inside to short out and do serious damage. So, be cautious, especially when changing CF cards.

I was pretty lucky and I know it. I bought a couple cheap, plastic ponchos that now live in my backpack pocket, for the next time.

Cheers!

Alan

A few weeks ago, my partner and I went to a our rainforest resort to produce video footage and photographs of the resort for promotional material. On the way out of the waterfall shoot, I slipped and fell into the water and the 20D that was around my neck took a dive and stayed immersed for 3 seconds or so .. long enough for water to enter the rear LCD panel, front element of the 10-22mm even though it had on a Canon 77mm filter.

As we were at the resort, there was very little I could do so it stayed wet for about 2 days before I had a chance to get home and left it in the ICU (also called a dry cabinet).

Inside the dry cabinet, Relative Humidity soared to 80% and it took about 3 days for RH% to drop to 30% with controller set to max LOW. I took it out, powered it up and it worked fine. The lens is OK too except I notice tiny faint spots in my images shot at f/22. Other than this, there's no sign of problems.

A link to the complete assignment below. Water pics by 20D while others were shot on the 5D.

http://shimworld.wordpress.com/2008/04/27/a-resort-in-the-mist-beyond-the-postcard/