Canon 40D vs G10 in Athens, Crete, Istanbul, Egypt

jay_broskie

<p>My wife and I are soon off to spend about an 18-day vacation in Athens, Crete, Istanbul, Cairo, and Luxor. I shoot a 40D with the 17-55 EF-S 2.8 and 70-200 4.0. For our wedding we received a Canon G10 which has taken some very impressive outdoor test shots.<br>

I had planned to just take the G10 (with a minipod and my 430EX flash) but now I'm wondering whether I should bring the SLR too, perhaps just with the 17-55 attached the whole time.<br>

I've read through the forums on these cities, but was hoping I could get some general input from others' experiences as to whether I'd regret bringing (or not bringing) a bulky SLR, even with just one lens, on this trip. I think I understand the photo tradeoffs, but don't have a sense of what it will be like to actually be there with a heavy camera, regretting not having my 6 frames/second, etc.<br>

Advice of any kind is appreciated, of course also with respect to any photo opportunities that won't be obvious.<br>

Thanks,<br />Jay </p>

<p>I've been to the above places except Istanbul. When I was there, I brought a film camera and a digital p&s, Canon S60, which has a wide angle lens starting at 28mm. My suggesion, if only one camera, I will bring the 40D and the 17-55 lens. Wide angle in these places are more useful. The long lens, unless your trip includes the Nile River cruise, it's usually will be used infrequently. One thing I would prefer the 40D is the low noise capability over the G10. I borrowed a 40D for a few trips and I would not hesitate to use ISO 800 (rare occasions with 1600 too). Just a suggestion. Hope it helps.</p>

<p>Very helpful guys, thanks a lot. We're not doing the cruise, and I agree that it doesn't seem like there will be much that exceeds what I can do with 17-55 on a crop sensor. It will be a lot easier to take the 40D if I don't bring my 70-200 (or 50 1.4) and just leave the 17-55 on, buying the smallest bag I can find. It's still a lot more to carry and worry about, though...</p>

<p>I brought a monopod with me, a sturdy Bogen, and used it as a walking stick. It also came in handy for a variety of places where tripods weren't allowed.</p>

<p>I wouldn't leave home the 70-200 either. If it's a bag you are worried about, I'd research a small lens pouch for that one and then sling it over the shoulder. Once in a lifetime trips are hard to skimp on because of a little extra weight. But I do not know your physical condition, limitations and such so it's only easy for me to speak from my point of view. </p>

<p>Athens is a great place for night shots with the Parthenon visible from many parts of the city. Good view across the city can be had from either the Acroplois or Lycabettos Hill. The latter is often busy well into the night and makes a nice evening trip out. The 40D is probably better for night shots.</p>

<p>Take the 40D, all your lenses and the G10. You'll regret it if you don't. I just got back from China where I took a 10D, 28-135, 17-40 L, 50mm f1.8, 100-400 L, and a 35mm film body as back up. Luckily, I didn't need the film body, but I used ALL my lenses. I went back and forth about whether or not to take the heavy 100-400 L. I'm glad I did because some of the best images of the trip came from that lens. And I got it all in a small CaseLogic backpack I bought at Walmart for $50. The G10 is a great camera and is so small it's a no-brainer. But the 40D will beat it like a rented mule when it comes to high ISO.</p>

<p>Take both 40D & G10 as many people already mentioned. I took my 5D & G9 with me last year to VN and the G9 has a good quality picture for any ISO400 and below, the G10 also can give you the opportunity to capture 720HD video, which is a very nice feature to document an event in a small clip (bring lot of memory cards too!) that will bring back the sound and memory when you get back.</p>

<p>Been there, done that. Take both the 40D and G10, you won't regret it. About 15 years ago I did a similar excursion with <em>just</em> a Leica M6 and a kit of 28-50-135 lenses. Got fantastic pictures. But I'd now take advantage of those 40Ds abd G10s!</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<p>I have on occasion travelled light, just bringing my G10. Have I regretted it? Well, there will always be situations where the G10 simply cannot make the shot, low light with moving subjects, if that is what you might take, lacking that few extra EVs of exposure latitude to bring out the shadows or tone down the sky, or when processing for colour punch, the noisy areas of colour - even at base iso.</p>

<p>For versatility and as a camera to bring when going out for evening dinner or to the theatre, when I'd find my 5D too bulky, sure - I wouldn't have got the shots I did with the 5D that was left in my hotel room, so I'd recommend bringing both the compact and the SLR.</p>

<p>Interestingly, I have compared shots from both the G10 and the 5D, and for iso 100 shots, there is little between them in sharpness, though it must be said I consistently use PhotoAcute to merge several shots from the G10 to remove noise and to add a bit to exposure latitude.</p>

<p>Without that, the G10 would always be noisier for any subject with shadows, though it might not show up in prints.</p>

<p>My next holiday, I am bringing a low-compromise kit of the 5D, 17-40 f4, 70-200 f4 IS, 1.4 extender (if I buy it soon), 50 f1.8 and the G10.</p>