Canon 400d vs 450d vs 40d

rodolfo_guedes

<p>I´m new to this forum.<br>

I´m in the process of buying my first DSLR, and i read in this site that the Canon 400d ( Rebel XTi) "has the best image quality of any camera in its class". I was wondering if this exceptional image quality was exclusive to this model or if it is a Canon quality.<br>

Based on this doubt, my current nominees are the 400d, the 450d and the 40d, and i wanted to ask to this forum if there´s any diference in image quality between this three cameras and wich one is the best pick.<br>

Thank you</p>

<p>Speaking as a very happy 400D user I would say go for the 40D.<br>

The 400D is a good camera with a couple of buts:<br>

The 450D and the 40D have the better viewfinders.<br>

The 450D and the 40D have 14 bit colour sampling.<br>

The 450D and 40D have live view.<br>

The 450D and 40D have spot metering.<br>

The 40D has better build quality, has a socket for studio flash and has the ergonomically useful quick control dial.<br>

The 450D has slightly higher resolution, though that shouldn't be a deciding factor.</p>

<p>I love my 400D, its a great wee camera, but there are others that brush up on the 400Ds few flaws, the 40D is the one to go for IMHO.</p>

<p>>>> The Rebel is in more of a "pro-sumer" DSLR class, so it's pointless to compare it to the 40D which is more of a "pro" DSLR.</p>

<p>Why is it pointless? Unless you're into "labels" rather than making photographs... </p>

<p>I compared both the XSi and 40D across the counter. And for me, the XSi was the superior choice. Have been street shooting with one continuously for the last 6 months and thousands of pix. Could not be happier.</p>

www.citysnaps.net

<p>For the money the 400D is a very nice camera. When using it casually you won't see any difference in image quality.</p>

<p>However if money is no objection a 40D or 50D would be a better choice.</p>

<p>If you need the extra features the 450D, the 40D or the 50D would be a better choice.</p>

<p>(400D user myself, very happy with it but I am looking around for a new body and thinking of buying a used 5D as my primary camera...)</p>

<p>All three of those cameras can produce excellent image qualty for cropped sensor cameras in this class. There will not really be any significant difference in the IQ of photographs shot with any of them.</p>

<p>More significant differences include your budget, the type of shooting you do, how the size/bulk factor plays out for you, and so forth.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>If your on a budget and you don't have any lenses get the cheapest one and try to figure out what other lenses you want, or get an external flash, or a good tripod, or.... You can see that this could cost a lot if your not careful.</p>

<p>I own both the 40D and 400D. Image quality is about the same as others have said. The lens makes the biggest difference. More features on the 40D, but not so many that a new comer would know the difference right off the bat. But the 40D and 450D are newer, so are probably both going to have more features compared to the 400D.</p>

<p>"The Rebel is in more of a "pro-sumer" DSLR class"<br>

Actually the Rebel series is the consumer series, there is no lesser dSLR in the Canon lineup. The xxD is a "pro-sumer", the 5D is the "semi-pro" and the 1D series is the "pro" series, but hey they are all only as good as the lens set in front of them.</p>

<p>I'd advise to budget for a 430EX flash as well.</p>

<p>coming from someone that deals with this every day - I'd take the XSI - best images quality vs. feature set in it's class. The 200 saved vs. a 40D could be spent on some decent glass or a flash. This is all assuming that he doesn't NEED the 2 extra frames a 40D would give...<br>

JC</p>

<p>Just to note, the advertisement "has the best image quality of any camera in its class" was put onto the web page when the camera was brand spanking new. You will probably find that sort of statement on a lot of cameras and usually at the time of posting it's true, if just for a few weeks until the cometition puts out their best in class.</p>

<p>How long have you been taking photographs? If you have used film SLRs before and know you have an enthusiasm for it then maybe the 40D. If you are new to SLRs (film or digital) then I would suggest the 450D - its capabilities will exceed your abilities for at least a couple of years (probably longer) until you know what you want from your next camera with regards facilities. You can also spend the money saved on the camera on things like processing software, better glass, tripod (?), flash (?). The 400D woould be way down in 3rd place.<br>

The cameras are so similar in the images they give that ergonomics and build must play a part in your decision.<br>

When I bought my 30d (predecessor to 40D) I preferred it to my wife's 350d (predecessor to 450D) for the following reasons: it fitted my (large-ish) hands better and was more solidly built (I'm clumsy). It had better high ISO performance, a brighter viewfinder and a larger LCD (I am not sure if this is relevant to the 400D/450D/40D). I preferred the 30D menu and the thumbwheel it has to navigate it.<br>

The downside is that the 30D is signficantly heavier and bulkier and can be a pain in the neck (sometimes literally) when carrying it all day, especially in town where I sometimes wish I could stow it in a smaller bag when not being used. And it can start to feel heavy in the hand on those 'off-days' when I am a bit low on energy and enthusiasm.</p>

<p>With the new technologies the difference between the cameras (in performance, facilities and especially price) is much less than when I compared the 350D/30D and if I had the choice now it would be a much harder decision. But I would not decide without handling both models.</p>

<p><!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

<p >“Actually the Rebel series is the consumer series”</p>

<p >Wait, I though the “supper zooms” or “full bodies” took over the consumer line and the base line DSLR's where now the pro-sumer line? Oh well...I can never keep up.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Why is it pointless? Unless you're into "labels" rather than making photographs...</p>

<p >Well it's pointless because you are comparing cameras that are from the same manufacture but on different price lines (i.e. consumer, pro) The 40D is a better camera if you want faster fps or crisper ISO settings. The Rebel is a better camera if you really don't care about fps or ISO, if you just want a good DSLR. However, if you compare the Rebel to say a Nikon D40, or a Sony A200 it makes more scenes because they are about the same price but each one has specific strong points or weaknesses.</p>

<p >That's just the way I see it.</p>

</p>

<p>This thread is not making sense.</p>

<p>Nominally, the dRebels are "cheap" versions of X0D cameras, but the "quality" and "features" are influenced by the <em>release date</em> of the camera.</p>

<p>The XT (350D) was a dRebel version of the 20D/30D, and carried a similary (but not identical) sensor. Image quality of the XT, 20D, and 30D is basically indistinguishable.</p>

<p>The XTi (400D) sports a newer 10mp sensor, and is superior in image quality to the previous generation.</p>

<p>The 40D was released six months later, sports a "similar if not identical" 10mp sensor to the XTi, but has the Digic III image processor (for speed) and 14bit A/D converters (vs 12bit in the earlier cameras). Image quality, particular in shadow areas, in the 40D is improved over the XTi for these reasons. I can't remember . . but I think the AF sensors are all high precision cross type for the first time in the 40D.</p>

<p>Frankly, the "feel" of the 40D vs XTi is more important than any of the feature (or even image quality) issues. For some, the XTi is "too small" and "junky". For others, the 40D is "too big and heavy". These ergonomics affect your willingness to lug the camera around. . and is important.</p>

<p>The XSi (450D) is newer than the 40D and sports a nifty 12mp sensor and the 14bit A/D converters. From what I read, image quality is therefore superior to the 40D. But again. ..the benefits are incremental. The *handling* of the 450D vs 40D is more relevant than the "features". For example. . .I have never thought to use spot metering. If I am concerned about exposure, I just take a test shot and then use exposure compensation. Live view. . .cool but useless feature (except for Macro) in my mind. Turns your $1200 machine into a $150 P&S, complete with shutter lag and poor focusing.</p>

<p>Comparing the 450D to the 400D. . get the 450D. No question. Same ergonomics, but the 450D is just better.</p>

<p>Finally, Canon has released the 50D to replace the 40D. The 50D has a higher MP sensor than the XSi, but unfortuantely they have not controlled high ISO noise very well. Many are saying that Canon has finally jumped the shark. Many debate if the 50D is really superior to the 40D because of this issue. Live view is improved. . but frankly so have the $150 P&S cameras.</p>

<p>So. . .bottom line. Go to a store and decide if you want a "rebel" or a "X0D". The X0D's are more solid (personal preferenrence), have better viewfinders (important) , have a faster FPS rating (yawn), and have the back wheel which makes changing settings a bit easier (meh).</p>

<p>If you decide "rebel", buy a XSi (450D). If you decide X0D. . then get into the 40D/50D debate and decide if the warts of the 50D are real or fiction.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'd recommend the 40D, but there's nothing "wrong" with the Rebels and they are lighter and cost less.<br>

I have a 20D, died (actually was murdered by a focus-confirmation adapter, but that's another story) just before I went on one of those "once-in-a-lifetime" trips. Sent it off for repairs, came back worked for two frames and died again. So while hoping I would get the fully repaired camera back in time, I bought a 400D/XTi to make sure I had a working camera. In the end, I took both cameras. In day to day shooting, I simply found the 20D easier to control with the two wheels, the camera top LCD as well as the one on the back, etc. No doubt some of this was because I was already "imprinted" on the 20D before I used the XTi.<br>

I had got my daughter a 20D too, but when she went to photography school the "freshman" camera was the XTi, so I traded her. Just recently she traded me back, despite the lower pixel count of the 20D.<br>

So there are two votes for the X0D series as opposed to the X00D/Rebel. Once you get used to the heavier, if more complex, X0D series, it's hard to go back to the Rebel. Actually, just to make the XTi camera heftier, I use a battery grip even though battery life has never been a problem.</p>

<p>I'm about due, if my daughter weren't still in college, for an upgrade, so I have been following the 40D/50D issues with interest. I think that my conclusion after watching this closely is that the 50D is overall still a significant upgrade. On the other hand, I use an older, non-Canon, perspective-control lens for which a 24x36mm sensor would be much better, so still am torn. Lots of luck in making a choice, it's not easy, but any of them will work well so you really can't go seriously wrong. These are all swell cameras.</p>

<p>All this hand wringing...</p>

<p>Just get the cheapest one. It'll take great pix. The differences are mice-nuts. Your vision, imagination, interpretation, and post-processing skills will FAR outweigh any differences between the cams with respect to making great photographs.</p>

<p>People get so wrapped up in gear rather than making photos...</p>

www.citysnaps.net

<p>I have owned both the XSI and 40D and prefer the 40D greatly. I much prefer the bigger size, more solid build and rear control dial. I was using a 100-400 lens though which might not be a common thing. When using the XSI it was more of a balancing act, and all those buttons on the back just ended up getting bumped. There are alot of buttons right around where your hand needs to grip the camera. Also, the need to push a button and then turn the top dial was a little difficult. I would try both in a camera shop before deciding. The 40D price has really dropped so I don't see the point in getting the cheapest one. Rather, I would want the one that "feels right" to me as it would be an investment for a period of years. The amount of money you would save- will it be worth it over that period of time? If this is your serious hobby etc., get what works and feels the best for you.</p>

<p>Landscape's response is dead on - get the camera that works and feels best for you. I own both the Xti and 40D and while both cameras have worked well for me, after buying the 40D, I gladly loaned the Xti to my brother-in-law and have never asked for it back. Why? The 40D feels more professional and has some improvements I really enjoy. I was an early buyer of the 40D in 2007 and I continue to be amazed by the photos - try some L glass some time (but watch out for the addiction). We could go on about technical details but the bottom line is that all three cameras mentioned are good although the 40D edges toward great. Just a note - I plan to upgrade in several years to full frame so I make sure I buy lenses accordingly. Good luck with your decision and enjoy!</p>

<p>Very simple:<br>

Compare all three at DXO here<br>

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/184|0/(appareil2)/180|0/(appareil3)/185|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon/(brand3)/Canon<br>

Don't fuss over single point differences, look at the graphs for print (equalized resolution) not screen. You'll pretty much arrive at what Brad said.</p>

<p>All the cameras take very close to the same quality of prints(actual prints you can hold). The main thing to look at when buying is useability in my opinion. To some this will mean XSI, others 40D etc. I don't think deciding based on online photos or databases makes any sense. I have seen fantastic photos made from the XT, probably a more simple camera than all 3.</p>