Canon 350D picky with CF cards?

edward_h

I have a 350D, 1D2 and a bunch of CF cards.

The 1D2 works with all the cards (unsurprisingly). The 350D works with

a 512mb standard sandisk, 2gb sandisk ultra 2 and 16mb Canon.

When trying to use a 1gb Sandisk Extreeeeme the 350D complains about a

"CF Error". Can't format the card or anything.

As I said, the Extreeeeeeeeeme card works in several card readers and

the 1D2.

So anyone got any idea why the 350D doesn't like the card?

That's odd, because this speed test suggests no compatibility issue:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7699

Then again, my Dell Axim X5 only works with Sandisk cards made in a specific factory... I would try and trade the card with somebody else, or try returning it (if possible) and trying one (if possible) with a different lot number/factory code/country of origin.

In the last two days of the triple rebate offer I bought Rebel XT (350D) and 70-200mm 4L and a Sandisk Extreme III (1GB) card. During the trial period I was able to take about 160 shots with them and format the card. No errors whatsoever. Amazing card! The camera and lens had problems so I returned everything. B&H would not accept the opened card back. So the card is waiting for another rebate offer from Canon.

I have a 350D and 1DsMk2. 3 x Sandisk Ext3 cards and 1 x Lexar. Sandisk pretty much all ok in both cameras, apart from a few minor problems. Lexar not so good at all. I already had the card 'upgraded' after last year's compatibility issue (see the web), and have updated both cameras firmware. I get consistent problems with the Lexar in the 350D. The main one being a "Could not complete the command due to an unexpected end of file being encountered", or some such message. I have lost a great deal of images with this problem. Whether it is the card or camera I am having trouble establishing.