Canon 30D - slow?

are_johnsen

I have just bought the Canon EOS 30D - and I like it very much. But the

transferring of images from the CF-card - RiData 2GB 80x - to my PC is

extremely slow compared with my Sony compact camera with Memory Stick. To

transfer 100 images from the Sony is a swushhh compared with the Canon, which

really takes it time. Why is it so? Is it me who is doing something wrong, or

is it something wrong with the card - or the camera?

are you using a direct connection? or are you using a card reader? also what's the size of the memory stick... i have to admit i did notice that 1gb from my sony p-10 was a lot faster than 512mb from my 350d, but then changing to a faster sandisk card has really improved this.

Your card reader makes a difference too, depending on which one you use. If you want faster performance, perhaps an upgrade to a SanDisk Ultra II card would be in order. A good fast CF card reader would be the Lexar firewire CF card reader or the newest SanDisk USB 2.0 card reader. You should be able to get transfer speeds of 10-15 mb per second with a good CF card and card reader.

I have had this problem, What I have discoverd a lot has to do with Image size you take your pictures in Large Medium or Small ..I done a little experment I took 10 pictures of the same subject at differnt image size and I found that the large takes twice as long to download as the small.

But in general I can download 3 to 4 hundred shots in L pretty fast I use the Lexar 2G high speed and a 1G SanDisk Extreme III

Thank you all for taking interest in this matter!

More details: I compare my Sony DSC-P150 with 7.2 MP with my Canon 30D with 8.2 MP, both in best quality JPEG - so the input data should be pretty much the same. And I use the same card reader for both (name: 7 in 1 Card, model KU7in1), so that should not make a difference. I tried to connect the camera direct to the PC, and to me the transmission still works quite slowly.

The transmission from the Canon card takes about 5 seconds for each image - how would you consider that compared with your own experience?

5 seconds per Large/Fine JPG is horrifically slow. If a large/fine jpg is 4 mb, then you are getting transfer speeds of about 800k/sec.

I am getting transfer rates of 9-10MB/sec, over 10 times faster. I shoot RAW (about 8MB per image) so my reader takes less than 1 second per image. Another way to think about it is that it takes about 3 minutes for me to download a full 2GB CF card.

Rob Galbraith's website (www.robgalbraith.com) has extensive databases of CF and SD card performance. Just look at the CF/SD link at the bottom of their front page. Your Ridek 80x 2GB cards are comparably fast to other CF card options, so it is your card reader that is likely the bottleneck. I'd recommend trying a newer card reader. If your PC has firewire, a Lexar RW019 firewire card reader is a good choice. There are other options out there, read the database results to see what might work best for you.

[[More details: I compare my Sony DSC-P150 with 7.2 MP with my Canon 30D with 8.2 MP, both in best quality JPEG - so the input data should be pretty much the same.]]

No, the data is not the same. JPG compression algorithms are implemented differently in different cameras.

You could test this by shooting the exact same scene (same equivalent focal lengths) with both cameras and then check the file sizes.