Canon 30D flash

I am buying a new Canon 30D and will probably need a new flash for

it. I already own a Canon 420EX but the specs(GN) on it are not too

good. I like the looks and specs on the Metz 54MZ-4 but the Canon

580EX seems to be tailored to the 30D.

Does anyone have experience or opinions as to the best path to take?

jim boatwright

jeboat@comcast.net

You have a 420EX.

On what are you using this flash now? Is it too weak for you now? It won't be any weaker on a 30D. I find my 420EX is fine for just about any indoor application (with ceilings less than 12'!)

The 580EX is *not* tailor made for the 30D. It is 18 months older :) But it will work fine on a 30D. Yes it has more power. More power is better than less power. I have a 550EX (similar power to 580EX) For those times the 420EX is too weak. . .most of the time the 550EX AND 420EX working in tandem will also be too weak :)

On a practical level. . .the 420EX is an older flash, and will not provide AF support for the diagonal AF points on the 20D/30D/5D. Otherwise. . .it will work perfectly fine.

On a practical level. . .the 420EX is smallish flash. . .and therefore is used more often than my 550EX.

The 580EX and 430EX will support all nine AF points. It also has two "dSLR specific" features the 420EX lacks. There is a WB correction. . .that in a nutshell nobody understands and I don't think works. And there is a "zoom adjustment", which didn't work right on earlier 580EX units and is irrelevant if you bounce flash.

<p>You say specs, plural, but the only one you cite is the guide number, and the alternative flashes you suggest only have roughly one stop of additional power. Is that enough of a difference to make it worth shelling out more money for a new flash?</p>

<p>If there are other limitations of the 420EX which interfere with your photography, what are they? We can't advise on what other flashes might be a better fit unless we know what your requirements are.</p>

James, You should get the 30D and try your 420EX and if it is not enough light by all means get the 550ex or the 580ex they both trigger the 420ex as a slave. The 420ex only has a receiver. I have two 420exs and a 550ex and use the 420exs with umbrellas and the 550ex as a bounce flash off of a white 8' overhead. All are fired by the 550ex. (no wires) I used the 420ex at weddings on my backup camera (30D)still. It works fine for me. Regards, Bill