My current digital camera--Canon 300D--has been used a lot. I'm not sure how

many pictures that I've taken with it so far, but maybe 40K or more. Till now,

not too many small problems. But I'm asking you just what I might expect to

see when it does, in fact, start to fail. Will the end be sudden? Or, more

importantly, will there be some signs that "the end is near"? I've been

researching(here)what camera to maybe get next. But I really like a lot about

the 300D. So until it does (begin to) fail, I'm staying with it. Of any

cameras that I have ever owned, I'm most comfortable with this one. So, not in

any hurry to dump it, unless it fails. Your comments?

If you upgrade to one of the newer rebels you will not like the size I would bet unless you get a vertical grip. A 30 or 40D would be better other wise. If you think you like the 300D, You will only like the newer models that much more I would also bet.

But if is working and you are happy with the images, then keep on shooting by all means. What will fail first, My guess would either me the Shutter or the mirror as they have the most wear due to movement. I would think that either on of those failed it would be rather sudden.

Jason

Google around this site for examples of shutter failure if you'd like to see what might happen (at some point). Other than that, lithium-ion batteries are good for 3-4 years so you're likely to need a new one.

Other than that, you should take a minute to open the flap on the bottom and let all the extra photons fall out. If too many pile up inside the camera body your images start looking very strange. ;)

You can also pick up used 300D's from KEH.com for decent prices if you'd like to have another.

If I remember correctly the spring that pulls up the secondary mirror(not sure of the name but it reflects light down to the AF sensor) would be the weak point there. Seems some folk had an issue with that. No warning, it just goes all of the sudden. But who knows. If fact I remember helping a lady work throught that issue late one night some time ago.

Jason

If your use is not work related ( someone paying you to shoot ) I would say wear it to the

ground and then consider what you want next. If failure would ruin someones wedding or

party photos I say be prepared and get something now.

Thanks to a past question here, and thanks to some of you folks, I have a pretty good idea of the camera that will likely replace my 300D when that times comes. So that's not an issue. I'm mainly concerned in learning if my 300D failure will give me much advanced warning. It appears that, when it goes, it goes totally. No real warning. Thanks

Sometimes when the shutter starts going there appears faint archs of light on the image. That's one sure sign the end is imminent.

When the sub mirror spring fails the camera will stop auto focusing unless you point the camera straight up to focus on the clouds. If the mirror actuator itself fails, the viewfinder will probably go dark -- or the images will, depending on if it's stuck up or down. There are no warnings for these, but there are a couple instruction sets on how to repair the sub mirror available on the net.

Some Canon cameras have had their shutter buttons fail. Usually the half press position dies first. Getting at the switch can be a bugger, but Canon cheerfully sells parts.

Canon will also cheerfully replace your shutter for about $250 in the USA. Not sure if it is worth that much to you, but a 300D with a new shutter is like having a new camera -- until the sub mirror fails.

The other warnings you might get is the time period between the moment the camera slips out of your hand, and the moment it hits the concrete. Or the briefer period after you see your camera hit the water, but before its lights go out. :)

[[it appears that, when it goes, it goes totally. No real warning.]]

Were you thinking perhaps a "low fuel light" would come on? :)

As Jim points out (hence my encouragement to google previous threads) the shutter failure is not immediate but something that progressively gets worse.

I still have my 300D and it works as it should, even with the many years of use it has on it. I've actually never had a problem with it and taken lots of great pictures. That said, I got a 30D to replace it last year, and I've said to myself many times since "wow, I'd never have gotten these shots with my old Rebel". The biggest difference for me is the higher FPS and overall processing speed of the 30D. It's nice to have both, but I don't really use the 300D anymore other than as a backup.

>>>"It's the glass on the front, not the camera I thought?"<<<

Not so much true in the days of digital. You can't just buy a better film stock. Darn stuff is built right in. So the old idea that Glass is all that really matters is out the door. Now the glass and the body matters the same amount. Assumeing of course that is what you meant in your post. :o)

Jason