Canon 28 1.8

tdigi

I posted a question a while back about this lens so thanks for all the input in helping me select it.

I just got mine and I hear mixed reviews of this lens but I must say it works perfectly for my use. Its

light, small and very fast to focus. yes its a bit soft wide open but i think most every lens is, especially

at 1.8. Overall its a nice lens to have.

I felt the same way and after hearing the 24 1.4 was also soft wide open along with the

fact that the 24 is much bigger and much more expensive I felt this was the best choice.

i love my 28mm 1.8, i especially love it on the 1.6x crop body as it gives me a very usable range (i find the 50mm range way too close), focusing is very fast and IQ is great for non-L glass. Mounted on my 1dm2, its even better, it becomes a WA with very fast focusing.

Tommy I have the 28/1.8 and it's one of my favorite lenses. I have three other L

zooms. I often leave them at home yet always carry the 28/1.8.

<p>

It doesn't matter so much that the corners are soft wide open. If you are focused on a

subject at f/1.8, the corners are going to be out of focus anyhow (unless you're taking a

photo of a flat brick wall). Some of my best photos have been taken with the f/1.8.

When I was living in Paris, I'd often go out with just my 28/1.8 and my 1.6x crop 10D.

Compact, light, and fast -- I couldn't live without it. I now use it on my 5D.

My biggest problem with this lens was not so much the soft corners, which as other posters point out are largely irrelevant when shooting at f1.8, but that the lens seemed to lack contrast. I found this dissappointing for a $400 prime and in the end went for the cheaper 35 f2. Nevertheless, the 28 f1.8 has a wonderful build and the USM is really nice.