canon 25mm f/3.5 LTM lens -- questions + problems

alan c.

i just got a canon 25mm f/3.5 LTM lens, added the SM-to-M adapter, and to my

horror it doesn't focus properly on M bodies.

Thinking this was a repair issue, I took it in, where the technician discovered that an

inner ring protrudes too much and blocks the rangefinding from working correctly on

a M camera. We tried the lens on a screw-mount body (a Leica IIIf) and it was fine....

Looking at the construction of the lens, the tech didn't think there was any way

around this.

Has anyone else had this problem???

Hmm, looking at pictures at http://www.kevincameras.com (not linkable), yeah, I see that the black ring that holds the lens into the focusing mount sticks out further than the focusing cam ring.

Could the RF focus roller in your camera be too far down, or some droop in the RF arm? While I'm not an M owner, I'd have thought that they would have dimensioned the focusing arm and roller's location and size identically.

Certainly, while it's not as severe, the Leica 21/3.4 Super-Angulon looks to have a similar situation.

The CV25 is a great alternative. Undoubtedly better optically than the old Canon and the click stopped zone focus, along with the focus lever, is superb. I wish my longer lenses had that click/zone/lever feature, along with rangefinder compatibility. My only beef with the CV is the speed...wish it was 2.8.

• 10 months later...
I'm not saying the ZM 25mm will or will not work on the CLE, I'm only pointing out the protruding rear element on the ZM 25. I don't believe that the CLE has the same rear element clearance as an M camera---I could be wrong. Here's a photo of a Canon 25mm LTM lens I used on a CLE (both pieces subsequently sold). Note no protruding rear element on the Canon.<div>00I5kc-32445184.jpg.854a34fb5d09037236c19f30b8a62530.jpg</div>