Canon 24-105 + 70-200 + 17-40... Which filters solution?

dallalb

<p>Hi, I own the first two lenses and I'm planning to buy the third soon and I use them on a 5D II DSRL... Currently I don't have filters for these lenses and I really want to build a filtering system that possibly suits all these three lenses, starting from a polarizer and continuing with GND filters... Can someone give me suggestions? I know these lenses to have different filter diameters, so I think I need a holding system like the Cookin one, but I'm not sure about the dimensions and the vignetting risk...<br>

Thank you, Alberto.</p>

<p>You could go for a 77mm to 67mm ring, then you only have to buy the 77mm filters. But you'll then have to unscrew/screw you filter every time you change lens.<br>

On the 17-40 you need special narrow filters or you'll get vignetting at the 17 end.<br>

Consider if you really want a polariser for the 17-40 as it won't work over the whole picture, so the sky will change from darker to lighter.<br>

Polarisers only work at a certain degree with respect to the sun and the 17-40 covers a bigger range at 17mm.<br>

That said, I kind of like my Himalaya pictures with a changing sky.<br>

Cokin is especially good if you use ND grad filters, as you can pull them up and down and tilt them but they are a pain to use in the field, the frame sticks out and is cheap plastic, the filters are plastic and scratch easily in the pocket.<br>

PS: protection or UV filters should be on every lens all the time, I once had a zipper from my bag scratch a 70-200mm just when I opened the bag, the puller fell on an unprotected lens.<br>

Years ago a 10-300mm crashed into the ground, sitting on my EOS5 (while in China) and I only had to use some force to remove the filter and straighten a slight bend in the filter threads on the lens and it could accept a filter again and worked flawlessly.</p>

<p>I find that I like screw on circular polarizers are much easier to use. For Grads etc I would suggest a square system - Cokin P series is the best value but you can move up to a 4 inch system (Cokin Z or Lee however they are much more expensive). While Cokin P series filters do scratch - especially in the plastic box they come in, they are only about $15 each.When I first got a lens with a 62mm filter diameter (years ago) I tried using step down rings on filters (in those days Canon was mainly 72mm diameter on their best lenses) but found it was quite frustrating to use on a mountainside. </p>

I bought Cokin P, found them to be visible/vignette on wide angle lenses and so bought the Lee foundation kit and filters.

If you don't want to buy twice then go for the more expensive but versatile Lee or Singh-Ray filter systems (I have not

personally used the latter but they are similar to the Lee). You can get an adaptor ring for the lens to filter and also a

plastic cap for it that can be the new lens cap.

There are also HiTech filters which are cheaper 100mm alternatives.