canon 20D new firmware, more problems I didn't notice before

kraig_cuddeford

I had been shooting no problems before where I could halfway press

the shutter button for focus then make an exposure and only halfway

release the button, back to the af position then make another

exposure without lifting my finger past the position... with the new

firmware I noticed "MORE" horizontal banding in the red channel and

that I couldn't make another exposure without fully lifting the

shutter release, pressing halfway down again to the AF position..

How do I get the old version of my Firmware back!

no not the exact same pictures, this doesn't really matter as my lights and the sun and all that are the same as the day or two or three ago, you know what I'm saying! nothing but the firmware changed and now it's not as good as it used to be.. All the darker pictures I've been taking had considerably less less red noise and not as pronounced RED channel banding compared to after the firmware update. My main gripe is NOW I have to release the shutter button entirely to make another exposure, this causes me focus shift and time delay, I used to shoot in single shot mode, off subject metering/focussing and then move over to the subject, while holding my metering and focussing setting I could expose several shots without lifting entirely off the shutter button, now I can't do that. "all settings are the same for this problem" Canon told me I have to send it in for service. I think it's kinda lame that I can't just put in the old firmware. there were no options to save the old version. If anyone has the version 1.0.5 on your computer can you send it to me?

<em> I used to shoot in single shot mode, off subject metering/focussing and then move over to the subject, while holding my metering and focussing setting I could expose several shots without lifting entirely off the shutter button, now I can't do that.</em>

<p>

How good is your memory? <b>Single shot</b> mode doesn't work that way on any EOS body I know of.

<p>

To be sure I just checked it on my 20D with 1.0.5 firmware. In single shot mode you get a single shot. To get a second shot you have to fully release the shutter, then press it again.

it seamed to work just fine for me, after taking hundreds of shots without re-metering/refocussing this way. Maybe it had to do with the lens I was using or the af/mf slider but it was wonderfull to shoot all manual, then not have it go into the error of "no focus point-cant make a shot" I was taking pictures of stuff moving fast, close up so the camera didn't see it as something in focus.. BTW, my memory sucks but my muscle memory works just fine. If somthing is OFF and causes me a problem I didn't have before I will look for what changed. the only thing that changed was the firmware.

I can get it to shoot from the AF point in continous mode, so that might not be as bad as I thought. I don't remember it ever being set to continous mode for any reason, could have been there on accident trying to fool with the exposure/shutter speed in a hurry.. I usually set the camera to all manual/single shot so this seamed very odd to me.. I am looking very closely at the pictures of my street lamp and comparing the red banding of a RAW photo with Iso 1600 and previously shot iso 1600 raw lamp-post..

ok so yeah, I'm dumb. I hate uhm... MYSELF ehehehe... Bob, thanks for testing against v1.0.5 and uhm.... Do you know that feeling... like someone flipped your world upside down, then showing you that it was YOURSELF that did it and there's nobody left to blame...... I'm going to put down the digital camera n see if I can forget how to turn it on! It's funny how the switch is almost exactly like the ON-OFF meter switch for my OM-1... Maybe I'll sell my PC and buy a Macintosh in the mean time..

I didn't get the camera warm enough shooting with FV1.0.5 to see "more noise" from a hot sensor. I'm guessing what I did was use the camera so long that it was making more noise due to the heat, I started seeing red horizontal bands at higher ISO settings so I decided to update the firmware. I the camera was kinda hot by then, I was using the lcd alot, went through two batteries and was still shooting so after I updated the firmware the thing was fairly toasty. I went out and started taking more pictures and noticed it was worse.

So thanks again Bob for pointing out the EOS single shot behaviour. It wasn't that obvious to me why it stopped!. I must have accidently flipped the drive cog into continuous mode when trying to change the iso. So all is well with FV1.1... Can't say the same for my couple of bad days, I'm not getting enough sleep I guess..