Canon 20D error

pod

Error 99 is at the end of the error code list and says:<br><i>"An error other than the above has occurred. Remove and re-install the battery. This error may occur if you use a non-Canon lens and the camera or lens does not operate properly."</i><p>Sounds like a "not sure what's wrong" code.

• 4 months later...
I will have to disagree on the non-canon lense. I have had it happen to me on my 20D. The lense I have is a Canon 70-200 2.8 AF/IS. Also a Canon 85 ultrasonic 1.8 AF. It has happend on both lenses. All I had to do was power it down and back on. what caused it I dont know? If you do let me know.

• 2 years later...

I just received my first (and only, so far) "ERROR-01" message on my 20D/BGE-2 with my (brand new) EF 70-200 2.8-IS. I was shooting a hockey game, so I thought it had something to do with the cooler temp inside the rink. I removed the lens and used my Q-ball to blow out any dust that may have accumilated, then re-attached the lens...after that everything was fine. I didn't know it was an image stabilization problem with this particular lens until I researched "ERROR-1" on the web. I have two other IS lenses (the 17-55 and the 10-22), and neither one have given me ANY trouble...however, they are both EF-S models, so I dont know if that makes a difference or not.

I had taken about 350 consecutive shots in RAW mode (in 3 to 5-shot bursts) within a 15-minute time frame, so I don't know if that contributed to the error...but this is only my SECOND shoot with the lens, so I'm extremely concerned that I may have a bad copy. After reading the multiple reports about ERROR-1 messages associated with the 70-200 2.8-IS, I decided to file an official report with Canon while the lens is still under warranty. The tech support rep suggested that, even though the lens is new, I clean the contacts on both the lens and body just to make sure there isn't any oily debris on either.

I will post any further developments.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone with the "error 01" issue on a 70-200mm IS 2.8L lens had Canon do any repairs on the lens? I'd like to get an

idea of a cost to fix it. I've had my lens for a little over 2 years and it has just started giving me this issue, almost on a

regular basis. I'm a little hesitant in mailing my lens to Canon for repair and then ending up with a massive repair bill.

Some previous threads on your issue:

http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00DugC

http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00KlGN

If your lens is pre 2005 manufacture, then I think you should ask Canon to repair it free of charge as it is almost certainly the defective older design of IS unit that is responsible for your problem.

Sorry for the delay in my response...I forgot about my original post.

I cleaned the contacts on both my lens and body with a pencil eraser (being VERY careful not to get eraser crumbs in the body) and I have never received another error.

I highly suggest this before you send your lens back to Canon...it worked like a cham for me (been over a year now with NO problems).

Dave