Canon 1Dx AF Setting Guidebook

zml

<p>From that page...</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Since the EOS 5D Mark III shares nearly all aspects of its AF system with the EOS-1D X, this guide is equally useful for that camera, as well.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>That "nearly all" keeps coming up. So far I've been unable to find a definitive explanation as to exactly what is different between the AF systems for the 1D X and the 5D III. Anybody know? Preferably with a link?</p>

<p>Well, for one the 1Dx has a separate processor dedicated more-less to AF only (it is a Digic 4) and the necessary firmware/software. As for the other differences in the AF subsystem hardware - no data yet.</p>

<p>At the 5d MkII briefing I attended canon said that the 1D-X and 5D MkIII share identical AF hardware (i.e. they both use the same AF sensor array). The 1D-X, as pointed out above, has a dedicated Processor unit, but I assume that is in order to provide high speed operation and not to add additional functionality.</p>

<p>One clue:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>One important difference between the EOS 5D Mark III and the EOS-1D X: while both share the same 61-point AF system and essentially the same AF optics and supporting electronics, only the EOS-1D X has the 100,000 pixel RGB metering system, and ability to activate "EOS iTR" – Intelligent Tracking and Recognition. This system uses not only AF information, but information about an initial subject's color, size and location (from the RGB metering sensor) to help guide the AF system to continually update AF points when Automatic AF point selection is combined with AI Servo AF. With the EOS 5D Mark III, this automatic switching of points to follow a moving subject is done strictly using info from the AF system, not the metering system as well.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>From http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/5d3_multiple_af_points.shtml</p>

<p>And thanks to lensrentals.com for assistance finding that.</p>

<p>That <em>also</em> allows the 1Dx to link the metering (spot) to your selected AF point. The 5D's spot metering cannot link to specific AF points (remains metering at center point), which is kind of stupid, but understandable (considering the additional $3500 for the 1Dx).</p>