Canon 1Ds2 Image Problem

ccrevasse

My 1Ds2 has recently developed an image flaw. Specifically, the

upper edge (in landscape orientation) or left edge (in portrait

orientation) of the image is degraded. The degradation extends

along the entire edge of the image and is an even distance from the

edge. In total it affects approximately 2-3% of the image.

Basically, it looks like a thin, blurred, washed-out strip along the

very edge. It appears in most but not all images, and may be worse

at high ISOs and rapid frame rates. The lens does not seem to

matter.

I have installed the most recent firmware update and have not set

any personal functions. The flaw also appears with images taken

with the prior firmware. I shoot raw, and the flaw appears both in

the raw preview and in the final jpeg, both with ACR and with RSE.

I have never attempted to clean the sensor, and the camera has never

been damaged. The flaw does not appear in earlier images.

Any idea what this might be? Thanks.

That is weird. I'd try a different card just to get that eliminated. Then I'd look (under

magnification) at the sensor to see if (somehow) something is on there. Maybe something

migrated (adhesive?) onto it. Last resort, send it in to Canon and hope they make good on

it w/o too much pain.

Good luck.

Wild guess possibility = it may be a case of 'banding'. I see occassional banding in some of my low exposure, high ISO shots... a vertical stripe. Don't know exactly what causes it, but it seems like a stuck bit in a buffer (as if the threshhold for that buffer is stuck/wrong). Anyway, if a data transfer buffer in the cam wasn't worming correctly, it might cause problems that manifest themselves in visual patterns (a stripe being a pattern).

I'd talk to the Canon shop and have them look at it. Good luck!

Take a look at this thread relating to a hot pixel, and the stripe that follows it. The pixel is easy to understand... the stripe less so.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00DrEG

When I see this kind of stuff it seems like a data transfer buffer with a stuck bit/channel/whatever_they_call_it

So, if something like this can happen sporadically in one cam, it MIGHT be possible that it occurs more often in a buffer on another.

i want to grasp at a few more very unlikely straws, could it be some kind of degradation in the filters over the sensor on that edge.. like they have become 'unglued' or delaminated? or some other thing like that?

I mention this because I have a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses that I left in the sun in my car once and the lens became delaminated around some of the edges (they are ugly now, but they still work so I use them on road trips). So maybe if you let your camera get hot or some other thing like that?

It could be a fault with the shutter. I've seen a similar thing as you describe on a high mileage 1Ds (mk1). But only at high shutter speeds. Apparently it's called shutter bounce and can affect newer cameras too.

Here is a thread with some info at fredmiranda.com:

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:IGbJY60wBNkJ:www.fredmiranda.com/forum/next/236419+1ds+%22shutter+bounce%22&hl=en

That is the cached version at google. The real link does not appear to be working at the moment.